Wings wings everywhere!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Wings wings everywhere!

Post by OrangeDragon »

Apparently when it rains there is some sort of flying insect that finds shelter from the rain, then sheds its wet wings and leaves when the rain ends. I know this because my house was said shelter during last nights rain for a swarm of them and my wife filled me in on it...

Very strange, had never heard of such things, anyone have an ID on these critters?

Bring Back Buck
Expatriate

Re: Wings wings everywhere!

Post by Bring Back Buck »

Termites?
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Not sure what they are, but they're attracted to light. Open your windows and turn off all lights. They'll be gone in a few minutes.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

oh they were already gone by morning... only the wings remained. and if those are termite wings they're the largest termites i've ever seen.
Bring Back Buck
Expatriate

OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

wow... that might just be them!

glad we don't have a lot of wood in the house.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Flying ants. They eat them in Africa, delicious
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Bring Back Buck
Expatriate

OrangeDragon wrote:wow... that might just be them!

glad we don't have a lot of wood in the house.
The wings seemingly come off easy on these bugs, I had an office covered in wings when someone knocked a wall down and thousands of them escaped.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Vlad is right, flying ants. We get them in my part of Australia at certain times of the year also. We had a house full last night too, drove the pup insane chasing them all! My girlfriend told me they eat them here too Vlad, Chnang KLUNG in her opinion!
indigo_design
Expatriate

Post by indigo_design »

Last night in SV they were termites swarming due to the start of the rainy season.

The geckos were in animal heaven scoffing them down and my kitten exhuasted itself chasing them all around the living room.

I also ate 3 of them to the amazement a girl on Victory Hill. :beer2:

Highly nutritious but strangley Khmers don't eat them. Why not??

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic