Bottomless Coffee in Phnom Penh? Where? How much?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Bottomless Coffee in Phnom Penh? Where? How much?

Post by StroppyChops »

rick o'shea wrote:Yejj's food...
At the risk of repeating myself, our experience has been that it's overpriced although good food, and the coffee refills have been either not offered or very reluctant.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
rick o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick o'shea »

StroppyChops wrote:At the risk of repeating myself, our experience has been that it's overpriced although good food, and the coffee refills have been either not offered or very reluctant.
no risk of that!
StroppyChops wrote:(It's always me, me, me with the General) Search for the collective good, JP, build that karma!
StroppyChops wrote:Mind you, Cafe Yeji IS one minute away from Alma's Cafe, so how are you gonna compete with that!?

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
StroppyChops wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:3) Cafe Yeji (or something like that)
Horribly expensive food menu aimed at the tourist market from memory
Or did you mention Yejj ona another thread?
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

California 2 used to offer free refills. It was pretty good coffee too. I haven't been there in awhile, so things might have changed.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Coffee is a laxative, ergo all coffee is bottom-less.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

rick o'shea wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:At the risk of repeating myself, our experience has been that it's overpriced although good food, and the coffee refills have been either not offered or very reluctant.
no risk of that!
StroppyChops wrote:(It's always me, me, me with the General) Search for the collective good, JP, build that karma!
StroppyChops wrote:Mind you, Cafe Yeji IS one minute away from Alma's Cafe, so how are you gonna compete with that!?

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
StroppyChops wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:3) Cafe Yeji (or something like that)
Horribly expensive food menu aimed at the tourist market from memory
Or did you mention Yejj ona another thread?

Are you connected with Yeji in some way, Rick? Have I trodden on toes here?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
rick o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick o'shea »

No affiliation whatsoever, except my cleaner used to work there.

Btw, anyone noticed 'Bling Bling' bar (?) on the road between Angkor mart and Boeung Trabek market? Not sure if it's a bar or a cafe, but looks like be trying to fill the 'only bar in TTP' void.

I have no affiliation with that place either, just noticed it as I drove by yesterday.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

General Mackevili wrote:Sometimes I love me some free refills!

If I'm really feining for a place to just relax and spend a few hours getting jacked up on coffee, I know of only 3 places. Surely there are more?

1) LoneStar

Probably my favorite. The owner runs it with his family, and luckily his family is full of beautiful women. That is always a plus.

They have good Wi-Fi and the place has aircon (after around 11AM).

He also had a big screen that's usually showing sports or news. Most of the time they have the TV on and some laid back jams playing.

If memory serves me right, it's $1.50.

2) Alma Cafe

Because of its location in the Russian Market area, which is where I live, I go here most often.

No aircon, but nice and breezy with huge fans all over the place.

They also have lovely staff.

My biggest complaint with Alma is that their Wi-Fi is hit or miss, and the staff seems to be confused when you ask them to plug/unplug the router.

My other complaint is that they close at 2p.m. How do they expect me to eat breakfast there when they close so early?

It used to come free with any $4 breakfast/$5 lunch, but now it costs $1.

3) Cafe Yeji (or something like that)

I've only been there once. Nice little place. Indoor and barely outdoor seating downstairs, and what appeared to be an aircon room upstairs.

I think it said $1.50 on the menu.

They all seem to have copies of either The Phnom Penh Post or The Cambodia Daily, or both, and some of the other publications around town

A few other places give you one refill, like Freebird, but that's not the same.

I'm happy with all 3 of those places, but I would love to know of some more options around town.

Yea, I would like to find a comfortable chill out place to drink coffee too. I went to Browns on TK Avenue yesterday and it sucked. Bought my $4 Ice Latte and then not a table in site (all occupied by kids with laptops nursing drinks). Found one table with a short iron chair facing the stairwell and gave it two minutes before saying f*ck it and going outside with my drink. The whole point of buying a $4 drink is to have a comfortable place to chill.

Gloria Jeans (next to Thai Huot) is excellent --- at least you get comfort and great service for your $4 coffee.

Would love to find a less expensive place to chill.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

rick o'shea wrote:

Btw, anyone noticed 'Bling Bling' bar (?) on the road between Angkor mart and Boeung Trabek market? Not sure if it's a bar or a cafe, but looks like be trying to fill the 'only bar in TTP' void.

I have no affiliation with that place either, just noticed it as I drove by yesterday.
I have noticed that place! Looks tacky, but with checking out.

Looks like a sort of NGOish cafe to me. Not that there's anything....
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Bottomless coffee is very much an American tradition. Unfortunately none of the places that offer it IMHO have good coffee, which is ridiculous given how cheap good Lao beans are. A $30 Mr.Coffee machine which burns coffee in short order is not the way to go and why folks can't do better is beyond my ken. Big French press to thermos using $7/kilo Lao beans is what we did at Jungle and it's the easiest thing in the world.
Using Tapatalk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

JBTrain wrote:Bottomless coffee is very much an American tradition. Unfortunately none of the places that offer it IMHO have good coffee, which is ridiculous given how cheap good Lao beans are.
I remember noticing that Alma Cafe has various prices for their bottomless coffee. None of them any good? (I can't comment on quality coffee; I'm a fan of NesCafe.)
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic