HE & Sam Rainsy make a list of insults to avoid

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

HE & Sam Rainsy make a list of insults to avoid

Post by Anchor Moy »

Don't make me laugh - sorry, but WTF...This should not be necessary after kindergarten or at least primary school.
Prime Minister HE and opposition leader Sam Rainsy on Friday released a joint seven-point plan to implement their “culture of dialogue”, advising their respective parties to avoid insults such as “traitor” and “dog’s head, Khmer body” and steer clear of phrases like “war will happen”.

According to the leaders, to ensure the political détente continues, parties must stick to seven dos and don’ts based on the July 22 agreement last year, which ended almost a year of post-election deadlock.

Among the principles are honesty and respect as the basis for resolving issues, while the list warns against incitement, threats, intimidation, racial discrimination and political extremism.

The statement also calls on parties to eliminate perceptions of revenge in the event of political change, as described in the saying “When the water rises, the fish eat the ants; when the water recedes, the ants eat the fish”.

It also lists particular provocative insults and phrases to avoid, including: “dog’s head, Khmer body”, “communist”, “Yuon’s puppets”, “traitor”, “nation seller” and “thief”, as well as threats like “putting in jail” and “war will happen”.]
But IMO calming the rhetoric of revenge is always a good thing if it is respected, so why not ? Just a shame that it is deemed necessary.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... ults-avoid
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: HE & Sam Rainsy make a list of insults to avoid

Post by vladimir »

'There's always the escape clause: 'I was drunk when I said it, I'm not to blame.'
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

How about phrases like "racist cocksucker" or "corrupt dictator"? Are they allowed in local political discourse?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I don't see why not, as long as one is polite with the delivery.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Stoopid poo poo head!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

Vlad, I wouldn't take an insult like that, if I were you, Seriously, man you have to do something about that! :stir:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Mmm, I don't see “cheung klang” on the list.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic