Buying Property

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Buying Property

Post by Duncan » Wed May 06, 2015 7:23 pm

I asked a lawyer this question a long time ago, and never got a answer, so here goes.

Are there any rules, regulation, laws in Cambodia on '' Family Trusts '' ?
How old/young can a person be to have their name listed on the title as the property owner. ?
Can a person[s] under the age of, say 16, be the 51% shareholder[s] in a Cambodian company. ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Buying Property

Post by Lonestar » Wed May 06, 2015 9:10 pm

An American friend of mine bought a property and put the title in his young Khmer son's name. However, when he sold it.....he had to go to court and prove to the court that he was acting in the boy's interest. He got it done, but it is another layer of cost and hassle........and could be a potential pitfall.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Fri May 08, 2015 1:05 am

Interesting question Duncan. As per Lonestars post, I'd imagine there would be a clusterfuck when it came to trying to sell the property if the person's name on the title were still underage.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan » Fri May 08, 2015 6:48 am

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Interesting question Duncan. As per Lonestars post, I'd imagine there would be a clusterfuck when it came to trying to sell the property if the person's name on the title were still underage.

The idea was to buy a property and have it '' locked up '' so it could never be sold. In Cambodia it's to easy for family to run out of money or run up gambling debts, then just sell a property.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic