digital SLR cameras

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: digital SLR cameras

Post by TheGrinchSR »

I love my Canon 70-D. If you're looking to take wide angle shots the 10-18mm EFS lens is by far the best value wide angle lens on the market but you will need an EFS camera to use it with (which is good because they're cheaper than full frame EF bodies). If you take an entry level Canon with a zoom lens (go 18-135 or 18-200 rather than 18-55 for a little more options when taking shots) - you could do the whole thing for less than $700... including both lenses new.

You might also want to consider a nifty-fifty which is incredibly cheap (50mm 1.8 lens) and takes crisp, wonderful shots with plenty of bokeh. Alternatively check out the 28mm and 40mm pancake lenses (also cheap and wonderfully unobtrusive thanks to the size of lens) both take great images and aren't going to break the bank.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Oh and whatever you do... don't go to Thailand to buy your kit. It's much cheaper here in Cambodia for new gear - as long as you stay away from Iqlick the official Canon stockist which is a rip off of epic proportions. I bought my camera and first 2 lenses in MBK and then realized I'd overpaid by about $300 compared to the guy down the road here. My second trip out saved me so much money that I now have 4 more lenses (rather than the 3 I'd budgeted for) plus hoods and filters for them all (none of which were budgeted for at the time).
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

By happy coincidence I have the 10-18mm and 50mm lenses already. I'm lusting after a non-original fish lens in MBK at the moment, expensive at $200 though...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Fish eye lenses aren't great on crop bodies... that whole circle image doesn't come out. Non-Canon fish-eye lenses generally suck and particularly at that price point. They take fun pictures but really bad images. Save the $200 for something better.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Thanks for the advice
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic