The Airport Scammer arrested

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

The Airport Scammer arrested

Post by Anchor Moy »

As his dad says "he's always been a wrong'un", but i can't help admiring his style:
Dressed in a smart suit and tie, a flustered Andrew Gradon pleaded for help to get home.

Stranded at an airport, he explained that he had just missed his flight but just £40 ($77) would be enough to change his ticket and get him back to Newcastle, in north-east England to see his wife and children before bedtime. Apologising profusely, he said he needed the cash because his credit card didn't seem to be working.

He provided a phone number, address and email details and a promise to repay the money on arriving home.

But everything Gradon told airport passengers was a lie. He was operating a simple scam - one he had practised thousands of times over at least a decade at dozens of airports in Europe, earning him up to £15,000 a month ($29,000).

The scale of his swindle, stretching across borders and over more than a decade, was breathtaking.

Last week, the law finally caught up with him. A court in Munich jailed Gradon, nicknamed "The Airportman" during his years on the run, for 10 months for fraud and banned him from entering Germany for three years.
:hattip:

http://www.theage.com.au/world/airportm ... myomy.html
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: The Airport Scammer arrested

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

For that kind of money (and such a small slap on the wrist), I might start trying my luck at Pochentong.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic