Dead Cambodian Man Shows up at His Own Funeral

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Dead Cambodian Man Shows up at His Own Funeral

Post by General Mackevili »

:beer3:

‘Dead’ man’s presence at funeral scares villagers

In the dim light of Sunday evening, 32-year-old Kong Channeang approached his family. Startled at his unexpected presence, they ran away in abject terror.

The reaction was more than understandable. Channeang had, after all, turned up at his own funeral.

Suffering from an unidentified mental illness, he had gone missing five days earlier from his home in Svay Rieng province’s Romdoul district.

On Sunday, a decomposing and bloated body was spotted by villagers in a nearby river. His family, satisfied the corpse was likely their son, proceeded to hold a funeral for him.

They were preparing the body for cremation when Channeang turned up.

“All of us were scared and ran away immediately. We thought that we were being haunted, since it was a little bit dark at 6:30pm when he showed up at the funeral,” Orn Song, the chief of Svay Chek commune, said.

Kong Vanny, Channeang’s 63-year-old father, told the Post yesterday that while everyone was running away, his son had shouted for him to return.

“When I heard him call me, I just went to him and grabbed his hand. I realised that he was not a ghost and I told the villagers and authorities to return to the funeral and to not be afraid of him because he was actually alive.”

The unidentified body was handed over to authorities, who buried it at a local pagoda.

According to Vanny, three members of his immediate family suffer from a hereditary mental illness that Cambodians call sabour.

Before Channeang “went crazy” a few years ago, he was an industrious builder, he said, but now, he becomes aggressive and leaves the house for long periods of time.

“His condition is like a spirit comes and controls his body. Sometimes he is normal, and sometimes he is not normal and he has problems with other people. Sometimes, I shackle his legs in order to stop him from attacking anyone in the village.”

When Channeang ran away on May 27 his legs had been chained but he managed to set himself free. Chaining relatives suffering from mental illness remains a common practice in the Kingdom, despite being decried by rights groups.

“The condition affecting my wife and sons usually occurs on days where there is a full moon and on the last day of the month. Apart from these days, they are normal and can work,” Vanny said.

“I have never taken them to the psychologist.”

Dr Chhim Sotheara, executive director of the Transcultural Psychosocial Organization, said that it is common in Cambodia for people to explain mental illnesses in spiritual or superstitious terms.

“Mental health is pretty new in the Cambodian context. Psychiatry in particular is really new. In general, Cambodian people have their own explanatory model to explain behaviours or [mental states] or attitudes of people,” Sotheara said.

“The explanation is based on cultural beliefs, religious beliefs and maybe based on experiences from their parents’ generation. It’s very common that Cambodians explain this kind of psychological reaction as a kind of spirit possession . . . or what we call sabour, a kind of craziness running in the family.

“But if we look at an explanation based on Western psychiatry, we can see clearly that these people meet criteria for mental disorders [such as] schizophrenia [or] psychosis.”

...click link to continue reading...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/% ... -villagers
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Dead Man Shows up at His Own Funeral

Post by Jaap N. »

Crazy story, just finished reading it in The Phnom Penh Post, thought about posting it....
:D
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Dead Cambodian Man Shows up at His Own Funeral

Yeah, looks like it's their headline today, LoL. Pretty weird story!

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I've not idea of the nature of the disease. "sabour" means hereditary when referring to diseases. It is not a disease per se.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

taabarang wrote:I've not idea of the nature of the disease. "sabour" means hereditary when referring to diseases. It is not a disease per se.
The “Sabour” disease symptoms are intense weight loss and a rather pale complexion. Just like the poor guy in the photo.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

They probably got such a fright because he crypt up on them.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Vlad, I read that ... Actually said, "Oh fuck", out loud. lol
Singularian
Expatriate

Post by Singularian »

I'd like to turn up to my own funeral. Would be cool.

If anyone has a spare 6ft white guy corpse they're not using please PM me.

Ta.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Singularian wrote:I'd like to turn up to my own funeral. .
Everyone does. They're usually dead though. Image

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

Odd ---- did they present him the bill for the funeral? Or did the family get a refund?
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic