Poor conditions at zoos owned by government official

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Poor conditions at zoos owned by government official

Post by Soi Dog »

Animal Welfare Again in Spotlight at Zoos Owned by Official

BY SIMON HENDERSON AND KHUON NARIM | MAY 2, 2015
When Eva Mignault visited Teuk Chhou Zoo in Kampot province last year, she was not expecting a pleasant day out at the tourist attraction.

The Equadorian had read the negative reviews online about the zoo—owned by senior government official Nhim Vanda—and she wanted to see for herself. But what she saw was worse than expected.

“The heart breaking horrors I saw when I was in the Kampot Zoo made me start a petition,” she said by email.

Later, her friend paid a visit to another of Mr. Vanda’s privately owned zoos, Bayap Zoo in Prey Veng province, and videoed ap­palling conditions with emaciated animals housed in filthy, tiny cages.

“I started campaigning to close down two zoos,” she said. The online petition now has more than 7,000 signatures.

Ms. Mignault also wrote a letter to Keo Omaliss, vice director of wildlife protection at the Ministry of Agriculture’s Forest­ry Administration.

“I would like to ask why is a senior government official permitted to own 2 zoos in Cam­bodia where animals are hungry and dying, and living in such small cages?” her letter said.

Mr. Omaliss wrote back to Ms. Mignault in February.

“In Kampot, the animals look fine, but some cages are still small. However, at the zoo in Prey Veng, [the] welfare of animals is concerning and cages are generally small,” he said, adding that the owner would be asked to make improvements.

On Friday, Mr. Omaliss said he visited the zoos in January because he was worried about tourists taking away negative perceptions of the country after visiting them.

“We want visitors to be happy and eco-tourism is a big part of the government’s tourism strategy,” he said, noting that the fact they were privately owned complicated the process.

“We need to negotiate with the owner and we have not yet been able to meet him,” Mr. Omaliss said.

Mr. Vanda’s love of animals was well known, he added, so he was sure he would want to en­sure their health. But taking proper care of animals in captivity is expensive, he added.

“Normally, zoos would be supported by the Forestry Admin­istration but we have a limited budget,” Mr. Omaliss said, adding that NGOs could possibly lend a hand if Mr. Vanda agreed.

But NGOs have already tried to help Mr. Vanda, vice president of the National Committee for Disaster Management.

In 2011, Rory and Melita Hunter launched a project with Wildlife Al­liance at Teuk Chhou to provide better care for the animals.

They founded an NGO, Foot­prints, with plans to develop the zoo as a wildlife sanctuary and education center. But in 2013, they pulled out amid disagreements with the owner.

Nick Marx, the director of Wildlife Alliance’s wildlife rescue and care program, stayed on after Footprints’ exit. But he too eventually left.

“We did try to help in Kampot a few years ago. After Rory left, I stayed on to help my friend Louise Robinson, who took over care of the elephants at the zoo and I was paying out of my own pocket,” he said.

But it soon became clear that Mr. Vanda was using the money he was saving from operating costs at Teuk Chhou to restock Bayop Zoo—destroyed by floods in 2011—with captured animals.

“One of the conditions of our involvement [in Teuk Chhou] was that animals wouldn’t come and go, but with captured animals brought in that’s just what happened,” Mr. Marx said.

“This was totally against my own ethics. When it became clear, I could no longer continue,” he said. “No one doubts that [Mr. Vanda] loves ani­mals…but his concept of the conservation is different to ours.”

Mr. Marx said he remains open to returning to Kampot. But on one condition—that Prey Veng zoo is shut down.

“Kampot is bad. But Prey Veng is awful and we couldn’t do anything while it exists.”

Speaking by telephone Friday, Mr. Vanda disputed claims that his animals were not well looked after and said he still loved animals, but no longer had funds to run the zoos.

“I have spent so much money on food to feed [the animals]…and I really want to sell [them],” he said. “But the law does not allow anyone to buy them.”
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/anim ... ial-83088/
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Poor conditions at zoos owned by government official

Post by vladimir »

I thought the cruelty I saw towards animals in Africa was bad, but SE Asia is horrendous.

A friend of mine lived next to a Khmer guy who had 7 pet dogs. One Khmer New Year, the guy walks over to one of the dogs, smashes its head in with a metal bar, amid much raucous laughter, skins it, and they have it for dinner.

Lovely people.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

vladimir wrote:I thought the cruelty I saw towards animals in Africa was bad, but SE Asia is horrendous.

A friend of mine lived next to a Khmer guy who had 7 pet dogs. One Khmer New Year, the guy walks over to one of the dogs, smashes its head in with a metal bar, amid much raucous laughter, skins it, and they have it for dinner.

Lovely people.
Is that more wrong that slaughtering pigs or chickens or cows for food? Is it more morally wrong and cruel because there was "raucous laughter" during the killing?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

If you cannot see the difference between killing a dog you have raised and formed a bond with over, say, 5 years, and killing a chicken you raised for food, you are lost.

I don't believe you cannot see the difference, I believe we are angry and bitter this morning. Calm down, and be happy.

Try not to stir just because you have personal issues, there's another site for that.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

vladimir wrote:If you cannot see the difference between killing a dog you have raised and formed a bond with over, say, 5 years, and killing a chicken you raised for food, you are lost.

I don't believe you cannot see the difference, I believe we are angry and bitter this morning. Calm down, and be happy.

Try not to stir just because you have personal issues, there's another site for that.
You are assigning motives and feelings between the owners and the dogs. In your mind they are pets. In their minds they are just dogs and potential sources for protein when needed with no feeling whatsoever attached.

You are the one who can not debate without insult in this case
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

They raised them as pets, they had individual names and the kids often played with them.

My friend is not a retard, he can tell the difference between pets and stock.

Let's say you have a partner. How does one differentiate between him/her and any other person staying in your house?

Should be kind of obvious to even an idiot.

However, feel free to ask for hints.

Have a nice day.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

dogs can be kept as pets but arent always treated like pets, a toy for the kid and food for the adults lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic