Cop alert - Phnom Penh

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cop alert - Phnom Penh

Post by franzjaeger »

Joker Poker wrote:When will these clowns figure out that they could make buckets of money pinging the red light runners at every intersection in Phnom Penh?

Imagine the income that could be generated from all the Bong Thoms if there was a red light camera at just one main intersection. Of course, you'd need to have all the plated car owner's addresses recorded and the political will to do something about it especially those with Govt or RCAF vehicles, the ones that should be setting an example to the rest of the population.

I was turning right onto Norodom this afternoon behind a Tuk Tuk, just as I was about to pass him on his left side he saw the cops waiting for him down the road and very abruptly turned the other way without looking. I had to brake hard to avoid hitting the moron, causing my front wheel to lock up and slide - nearly lost it. That's now two times I've almost been hit by fucktards doing a runner from the cops.
You are going to get hit with that attitude, most tuktuks a quite aware of what's going on using their mirrors, he probably didn't like you and wanted to warn you to keep off his tail, better keep your distance and trust no one.

There is no chance you will see some automated camera system here, dream on, on whatever you are on.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:I want to give this a go, I'll print it and put copies with each vehicle.
It will be interesting to hear how they deal with you handing them the brochure, compared to when your local driver does (if he's game enough to do so).
It's either going to work spectacularly or I'll end up paying 10,000r ... can't see it getting any worse. I won't be asking our Khmer drivers to try this, they are already deathly afraid of bolee.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

franzjaeger wrote:most tuktuks a quite aware of what's going on using their mirrors
I changed out the Chinese mirrors on the eight-seater for the standard curved ones that are used in Cambodia a couple of days ago and am still surprised that the new ones give nearly complete 180 degree vision behind me. I should have changed them long ago.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic