If You Have Something Random to Say About Khmer440.com

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: If You Have Something Random to Say About K440, Put It H

Post by frank lee bent »

i feel real sorry for the owner there.
can you imagine spending real money for that?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

frank lee bent wrote:i feel real sorry for the owner there.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

frank lee bent wrote:i feel real sorry for the owner there.
Is it outrageous to figure each banner advertiser pays maybe $50 per month? That's $600 per year for 6(?) banner ads..or $3600 per year. Then add the multiple smaller local ads along the side (of which they have quite a few) and then the Google Adsense revenue. Couldn't that easily add up to $5000 per year of total income? If he spends $2000 per year on front page articles and site hosting, that leaves $3000 annual profit. Not too bad for an alleged $18000 investment. What's that...a 16+% return? Are my assumptions far off? I admit I am purely guessing at the numbers involved.

I was really looking forward to KiR's promised treatise about the profitablity of various internet forum business models. Sadly, he died literally hours after posting that he was working on such a piece for CEO. He had insisted for years that the K440 front page was the real money maker and driver of page views, with the forum just for kicks. The new owner argued the complete opposite, saying front page articles are much less important to the business model than the forum. Who is more correct?
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

I thought all K440 front page articles were unpaid now.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

MekongMouse wrote:I thought all K440 front page articles were unpaid now.
You think? Why would anybody bother contributing then? I guess that would explain the dearth of quality material on their front page since the sale.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Soi Dog wrote:
MekongMouse wrote:I thought all K440 front page articles were unpaid now.
You think? Why would anybody bother contributing then? I guess that would explain the dearth of quality material on their front page since the sale.
Yep, I believe that is the reason for the decline. I think CEO should tap into that market, it might help growth.
Playboy
Lord Gayboy
Great Britain

Re: the other forum

Post by Playboy »

StroppyChops wrote: ... How much for the talking retarded ferret?
You can have Gonk for free.
Actively seeking Thai Ladyboys to sexually dominate me. Please inquire within.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Playboy wrote:
StroppyChops wrote: ... How much for the talking retarded ferret?
You can have Gonk for free.
:D
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Re: the other forum

Post by Rain Dog »

General Mackevili wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:The problems they have there with shit-stirring posters will find there way here in time. It has yet to be seen how the CEO mod team handles so many knobheads like K440 has to deal with.
I'm confident that the CEO Mod Team will handle things better than K440 is doing right now. They are all over the place.

Banned for a week? No problem, Scobie will be around in a minute to unban you! :facepalm:

Someone posts your picture and links to your Facebook page? No problem, since the mods don't think it was "malicious." : facepalm:

Hopefully we won't ever be in that boat, as we listen to our members and use their feedback to improve shit around here BEFORE we get to the point of no return.

Scobie just needs to grow some balls and start making (preferably good) decisions. Gavin has nicknamed him "King Pussy" and it seems fitting. Scobie is trying to please everyone, and is failing miserably at it.

I really don't know why Scobie wanted to run a forum. He seems to get no pleasure from it at all.
I guess it is easy to blame scobie for everything, but he is not really the root cause of the problems plaguing that forum. Unfortunately he does seem to be held hostage to the preexisting problems that came with that forum, namely a rather cliquish group of self-congratulatory "long time posters" (I call them backslappers) who seem really insecure about how times are changing without them and seem genuinely skittish about anyone threatening their so-called "status" on an internet forum.

The "Destitute Brits" Thread was a real eye opener.

The web is full of such forums --- the larger ones will continue to draw new posters due to SEO presence, but quickly lose them. Those forums tend to have an increasingly "in-bred" feel to them and eventually become just another dark corner on the web, with so called "long-timers" trying to keep each others spirits up and wax nostalgic about the so called "Good old days".

Scoobz said all the right things when he bought the forum, but sadly has not followed through. I think he has a real need to be "Liked" by the core little group there, and thus panders to them. It is possible he simply feels insecure about challenging in anyway this little group he inherited. He does have $$$ put in the forum, and comes across as risk averse.

I don't think it is fair to blame Scoobz for pushing back on the arbitrary, overzealous moderating of Gavinmac and to some degree Joon. In fact he deserves some credit for trying to reign them in. Unfortunately, culture is hard to change and unless he is willing to forcibly open up the "in-bred" feel of that forum, it is destined to become one of the dark corners described above.

This forum also has had more than a few issues -- but it does seem you have added some new posters here, and it certainly feels less "in-bred". Hopefully you are learning from your mistakes as well as theirs as you go along and can gain some momentum moving forward.

Cheers,

RD
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I personally think that k440 should do away with all mods and let it be a free for all, dog eat dog forum. After all they are half way there already. Probably run along the lines of Jackchat the Indonesian forum, where executions , the sight of blood and the smell of death in the air attracts more people.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic