Nigerian arrested for violence and illegal detaining

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Nigerian arrested for violence and illegal detaining

Post by prahkeitouj »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I admire her that she could be patient with him until 4 years.
I guess if you don't have high education and you can't depend on yourself. It is better to have someone you can rely on. i talked to a few people. They said they are willing to stay with someone who can support them instead of working in sweatshop and get $100 per month.
That's the reason our society is immoral? Yes, I saw some people do that. Yes, they can have what they want, just look after their beauty, be entertainment and pretend to be nice kitties of rich men. Don't care if he is any one's husband or dad!
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

MekongMouse wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I admire her that she could be patient with him until 4 years.
Ehh, gotta disagree. There is nothing to admire about a woman who doesn't know when to leave. I feel sad for her, but definitely not admiration.
I just admire that she was patient with this guy. But I don't support what she did.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:yeah know what ya saying,
that divide can really be seen over here as well, i think more so than any country ive visited, the difference between the hi-so city khmers and the rural province folk is really dramatic, ive got friends from the province who never went to school and dont have an education and were just brought up by their families in the village, and sometimes the way they think/act/behave/beliefs can really surprise you, i do love hearing about things that they believe though can be very interesting
You are claiming that they don't have higher education or perhaps never have chance to go to school. So, it seems like they don't speak English while it is hardly enough for them to learn khmer. I wonder how can you communicate with them to learn and understand more about them. Do you speak fluent khmer? If not do you think there are misunderstandings in the conversation sometime which led you to misunderstand about them? BTW it would be great if you can share with us about their actions/ behaviors/beliefs which surprised you the most.

I am not a city kid, but i have been residing here (PP) more than 5 years now. I was born and grew up in the rural area too, but where i grew up is not really like a rural or remote area as we have everything. we have electricity, running water, Language and computers schools are available. Reading through your comments i have a feeling that you have more rural khmer friends than me. I don't have many khmer friends. To be honest, i also don't know much about the lifestyle of other khmer who live in really far remote areas.
to some khmer, especially the girls (who quite oftenly end up working in the bars/freelance), speaking english can be more important/useful than an education, i've got friends who when they first came to work in some of the bars i drink in, didnt have an education and were fresh out the province, couldnt speak a word of english, but now are able to get by and string sentences together, i guess with them spending time with the other girls and having to interact with english speaking people they are able to learn english fairly quickly, or at least the basics anyway, one of my friends actually surprised me the other day with how well her english had come along this year, 4 months ago she couldnt speak any! i dont speak fluent khmer but i know enough to get by, a lot of my friends just speak to me in khmer now and i tend to understand generally what theyre saying
oh and yeah there are generally schools available but not all families can afford it/or the kids forced to work from a young age so they have no time for school or its limited,
i was in a village for new year in kampong cham province, some young girl had broken her leg but they couldnt afford a doctor so they visited a witch doctor who did his thing and put her leg in a splint, no painkillers just a bag of sweets, i remember when i broke my finger i was drugged up to my eyeballs hahaha brave kid! Image
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
that divide can really be seen over here as well, i think more so than any country ive visited, the difference between the hi-so city khmers and the rural province folk is really dramatic, ive got friends from the province who never went to school and dont have an education and were just brought up by their families in the village, and sometimes the way they think/act/behave/beliefs can really surprise you, i do love hearing about things that they believe though can be very interesting
You are claiming that they don't have higher education or perhaps never have chance to go to school. So, it seems like they don't speak English while it is hardly enough for them to learn khmer. I wonder how can you communicate with them to learn and understand more about them. Do you speak fluent khmer? If not do you think there are misunderstandings in the conversation sometime which led you to misunderstand about them? BTW it would be great if you can share with us about their actions/ behaviors/beliefs which surprised you the most.

I am not a city kid, but i have been residing here (PP) more than 5 years now. I was born and grew up in the rural area too, but where i grew up is not really like a rural or remote area as we have everything. we have electricity, running water, Language and computers schools are available. Reading through your comments i have a feeling that you have more rural khmer friends than me. I don't have many khmer friends. To be honest, i also don't know much about the lifestyle of other khmer who live in really far remote areas.
to some khmer, especially the girls (who quite oftenly end up working in the bars/freelance), speaking english can be more important/useful than an education, i've got friends who when they first came to work in some of the bars i drink in, didnt have an education and were fresh out the province, couldnt speak a word of english, but now are able to get by and string sentences together, i guess with them spending time with the other girls and having to interact with english speaking people they are able to learn english fairly quickly, or at least the basics anyway, one of my friends actually surprised me the other day with how well her english had come along this year, 4 months ago she couldnt speak any! i dont speak fluent khmer but i know enough to get by, a lot of my friends just speak to me in khmer now and i tend to understand generally what theyre saying
oh and yeah there are generally schools available but not all families can afford it/or the kids forced to work from a young age so they have no time for school or its limited,
i was in a village for new year in kampong cham province, some young girl had broken her leg but they couldnt afford a doctor so they visited a witch doctor who did his thing and put her leg in a splint, no painkillers just a bag of sweets, i remember when i broke my finger i was drugged up to my eyeballs hahaha brave kid! Image
I get it. Learning to speak English is easier. I guess all girls work in the bar speak English. Sometime the way they speak is not grammatically right, but it is acceptable as long as you understand them.

For the poor girl who broke her leg. Sometime, it is not the matter of having or not having money. Most of Cambodians believe in superstition. They don't really trust doctor, but traditional healer or witch doctor.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:

I get it. Learning to speak English is easier. I guess all girls work in the bar speak English. Sometime the way they speak is not grammatically right, but it is acceptable as long as you understand them.

For the poor girl who broke her leg. Sometime, it is not the matter of having or not having money. Most of Cambodians believe in superstition. They don't really trust doctor, but traditional healer or witch doctor.
oh for sure, this example was actually a bit of both, due to lack of money and their beliefs, i did have some painkillers and anti-inflammatory tablets with me and offered them to her but they didnt want them, and also goes along with what i said earlier about some of the beliefs etc. :)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

MekongMouse wrote:
Ehh, gotta disagree. There is nothing to admire about a woman who doesn't know when to leave. I feel sad for her, but definitely not admiration.
My view before moving here was that the first time it (domestic violence) happens, you're a victim. The second time, you're a volunteer.

Doesn't seem to be as cut and dried (idiom: definite) here.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

"this example was actually a bit of both, due to lack of money and their beliefs"

I know a rice farming famikly in Kampong Cham provence. They are not in the deep ruralities as their village house is close to the main road. But the mom, in her mid-50's, never went to school and can't read. The father can. They have 9 children from about 16 to 42. About 3 of them are not literate. They are a very gracious crew - not without occasional problems. And they do believe a ration of mumbo-jumbo both Buddhist and animist including some stuff about promising to feed prahok and rice to a tree spirit if it agrees to cooperate in healing sick children.

BUT when a 7 month old baby was sick, they were certainly smart and well-organized enough to bring him to Cantha Botha in PP. Saw the bambino last week and he.s now more vigorous than I am. [Fair disclosure; we're both somewhat breast-dependent]. When one of the handsome and civilized brothers ran his moto into a tree and had to have his leg amputated, they were smart enough to get him very well fitted at Handicap International. It's a bit hard to see his leg is fake.

So there's a lot of variation mongst the non-onkas out there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic