Should I stay or should I go?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ryoon
Expatriate

Re: Should I stay or should I go?

Post by ryoon »

There is future in Cambodia but if you have money to invest or special skill (like university level education, specific work experience and so on) to start with making it without those seems difficult.
To my knowledge it is more realistic to hope to achieve something in the US or Australia without having financial or educational assets that it is in the SE asia region.

Whatever happens for the future generation the one who will make it will be the one with foreign education (local included), I doubt that the level required can be found in PP even if you can pay.
Hotcumslinger
Expatriate

Post by Hotcumslinger »

Don't under estimate the change that kids will have on your lifestyle either, whether it be Cambodia or Europe. Putting your girl into a new environment that she hasn't had a chance to like, without her family support, with the stress of kids will be a good test on your relationship. I like the idea of going back when the monkeys are closing in on starting primary schooling, have the kids where you can get home help and other things that you won't get where there is minimum wage.
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

In regards to the whole forgetting the roots thing... Maybe explain to your wife the kid is also half Barang and may never get to know the other half of his or her roots. It is a two way street and assuming it is your biological child and you are indeed a Barang then your wife should realize that there are compromises to be made. Asians tend to over emphasize their own culture while barely acknowledging anybody else's.

I would probably raise the kid in Oz if you are financially secure enough to do so. Get it a decent western education and sense of business acumen and send it back to Cambodia later with Cambodian passport. Perfectly bilingual child with all the rights in Cambodia of a citizen to own land etc. for the win. Of course at 18 it is up to the child to decide what nationality he or she chooses. I believe being raised in Oz would be more conducive to the child recognizing both cultures.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic