It's just politics, man; nothing personal

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: It's just politics, man; nothing personal

Post by nightmare.believer »

Born-Confused wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote: Take me for example. Politics here impact me, my life, my business, my family life, my extended family, etc. I have more than a visitors worth of vested interest in the success and growth of this country.
Yeah but most posters have much less at stake here than you, and therefore don't feel the need or purpose to get too involved in local politics. I can't imagine locals anywhere appreciating foreigners getting involved in their politics. The locals might tolerate anyone who agrees with their own personal views voicing an opinion, but God help you if cross the line and take a position contrary to theirs. Could get quite ugly for you.
I think that's the key - get involved at an arms length. I tried to show an interest in my former Khmer staffs' attitudes and ideals toward politics, and most if not all (and these were a very educated lot) were very coy about giving straight answers, and even told me to be very careful with what I say, not for fear for them, but for any eavesdroppers. I'm not paranoid, so didn't bother me, but it did bother them!
Is your avatar Jurgen Klinsmann? That's just plain weird, man.
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Born-Confused »

nightmare.believer wrote: Is your avatar Jurgen Klinsmann? That's just plain weird, man.
Show some respect man - don't you know anything about the greatest Prime Minister Australia has ever had???
Let me help edumacate you :beer1:

OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

nightmare.believer wrote: And there is not a single thing you can do about the political situation, and talking about it can only hurt you.
I disagree. Talking about it can influence others, others who DO have the ability to take direct/indirect action.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:
nightmare.believer wrote: And there is not a single thing you can do about the political situation, and talking about it can only hurt you.
I disagree. Talking about it can influence others, others who DO have the ability to take direct/indirect action.
As long as you keep in mind that some locals may take great offense at your political views, no matter how rationally and calmly you state those views, and such perceived offences can become explosively violent at the drop of a hat.

I have experienced this myself in Thailand. What I thought was a passing, inoffensive, calm, one minute conversation with an elderly Thai woman bus ticket vendor about red shirts/yellow shirts and the real meanings of democracy and monarchy quickly turned into a hasty retreat on my part, as she groped around her tiny shack for some sort of sharp object to impale me with while calling for the motodops outside to have a go at me.

I could be wrong. Maybe Khmers are not so touchy about such things? But I won't be too keen to find out.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

nightmare.believer wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:^ just a little Orwellian don't you think, NB?
Not for SE Asia.
Yeah, fair point.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

Born-Confused wrote:
nightmare.believer wrote: Is your avatar Jurgen Klinsmann? That's just plain weird, man.
Show some respect man - don't you know anything about the greatest Prime Minister Australia has ever had???

World-class footballer, current US soccer team coach, AAAAAAAAAND current prime minister of Australia?!?!

You just blew my mind.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

Born-Confused wrote:

Absolute gold!
Using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Soi Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:
As long as you keep in mind that some locals may take great offense at your political views, no matter how rationally and calmly you state those views, and such perceived offences can become explosively violent at the drop of a hat.

I have experienced this myself in Thailand. What I thought was a passing, inoffensive, calm, one minute conversation with an elderly Thai woman bus ticket vendor about red shirts/yellow shirts and the real meanings of democracy and monarchy quickly turned into a hasty retreat on my part, as she groped around her tiny shack for some sort of sharp object to impale me with while calling for the motodops outside to have a go at me.

I could be wrong. Maybe Khmers are not so touchy about such things? But I won't be too keen to find out.
Yeah, you certainly have to choose your audience. No strangers, people who will likely listen to what you're saying rather than have a knee jerk defensiveness.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic