Snake ID?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Snake ID?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've been told by two unrelated Khmers that this snake is highly poisonous (deadly). Venom quickly goes to the heart, so a bite requires immediate care, else the result is amputation or death.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Snake ID?

Post by General Mackevili »

Trimeresurus stejnegeri AKA Chinese Tree Viper.

Trimeresurus stejnegeri is a species of venomous pit viper endemic to Asia. Its common names include bamboo viper, Chinese tree viper, Chinese green tree viper, and others. Three subspecies are currently recognized, including the nominate subspecies described here.

Grows to a maximum total length of 75 centimetres (30 in), with a tail length of 14.5 centimetres (5.7 in). The males have hemipenes that are short and spinose beyond the bifurcation.

Scalation: dorsal scales in 21 longitudinal rows at midbody. 9-11 upper labials, of which the first are separated from nasal scales by a distinct suture. The supraoculars are single, narrow, and sometimes divided by a transverse suture. There are 11-16 scales in a line between the supraoculars. The ventrals number 150-174, and the subcaudals are 54-77. All of the subcaudals are paired.

Color pattern: above bright to dark green, below pale green to whitish, the two separated by a bright bicolored orange or brown (below) and white (above) (males) or bicolored or white only (females) ventrolateral stripe, which occupies the whole of the outermost scale row and a portion of the second row.

Common names: Bamboo viper, Chinese tree viper, bamboo snake, Chinese green tree viper, Chinese bamboo viper, Stejneger's pit viper, Stejneger's palm viper, red tail snake, Stejneger's bamboo pitviper, Formosan bamboo viper (for T. gramineus formosensis), Taiwan green tree viper (for T. s. formosensis).

Where it can be found: Assam (India) and Nepal through Burma, Thailand and Laos to China (Guangxi, Guangdong, Hainan, Fujian, Zhejiang, Yunnan) and Taiwan. Leviton et al. (2003) also mention Vietnam. The type locality was originally listed as "Shaowu, Fukien Province, China", and later emended to "N.W. Fukien Province" by Pope & Pope (1933) (Fukien being the former romanization of Fujian).

^ That, or a harmless green snake, LoL.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Oops, I know you guys were thinking I probably wrote that all by myself, but the truth is, I stole it from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimeresurus_stejnegeri

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

There is one with reddish eyes that is poisionous and one with yellow eyes that is not but both look identical body wise
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... 13053.html
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Definitely looks the part. That also what Lucky Lucan said on K440. The bite doesn't sound pleasant.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

A bite from a non-venomous snake sounds far from pleasant too.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

A bite from honki newlydivorcedus is the worst.

You die a slow, lingering debt.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Flynn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Flynn »

Just came across this post on facebook. Looks like the same snake:

Basic Instinct
Expatriate

Post by Basic Instinct »

That’s a green pit viper, aka white lipped pit viper, aka Cryptelytrops albolabris.
It’s not a “true viper” and therefore not as dangerous. It occurs in forests and open grassland as well as urban areas. This viper is endemic to Thailand and Cambodia, nocturnal, aggressive esp. in the evenings. It is poisonous and it’s bite causes extreme pain and can lead to necrosis (in severe cases only), but it’s not fatal.
The White-lipped Pit Viper is the leading cause of snakebite-related hospitalization in Thailand. There are no statistics for Cambodia available of course.

Conclusion: drinking water contaminated with Zyklon B is more dangerous than having an encounter with this snake. But you won’t believe me anyway. :P

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

honestly, the snake in the picture, its head looks too small to be a viper, Vipers have a big protruding jaw, it looks (IMO) a lot more like a Red tailed green Rat Snake, its a snake that is also highly found throughout south east asia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonyosoma_oxycephalum

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic