Tourists attacked with iron bar in Sihanookville?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
EDC
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Tourists attacked with iron bar in Sihanookville?

Post by EDC »

Oh ok...you're talking about PP...

Cheers
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I do think the OP should have mentioned in the title of the thread that this alledged attack reported by somebody, who has never posted on Trip Advisor ever again, happened 3 years ago, rather than making it sound as if its just happened.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

jaynewcastle wrote:I do think the OP should have mentioned in the title of the thread that this alledged attack reported by somebody, who has never posted on Trip Advisor ever again, happened 3 years ago, rather than making it sound as if its just happened.
She has quite a few postings on trip advisor actually, but yes it was a few years ago.
topaz18046
Tourist
Australia

Post by topaz18046 »

Good suggestion by General Mackevili (Handsome picture) re the pepper spray. Formaldehyde, available in Chemists, is regarded as an excellent substitute for pepper spray (if not available). I have tested it and just a sniff is enough to make you reel back. If you copped a full on spray in the face I guarantee you would be out of action for hours. I mean you would be blind for that time and gasping for every breathe.

I still intend to retire in Snookyville next year with my wife. I am not a sexpat as someone termed. I am just an Australian pensioner looking to live out my twilight years without paying extortion rates for utilities and the like. As far as reports of attacks...whenever they occurred, it does not deter me from checking the place out. I have visited many countries. Papua new Guinea makes Cambodia look like Disneyland. In every suburban street in Port Moresby, for example, The houses are surrounded by high cyclone fencing with barbed wire or razor ribbon on top. People lock themselves in their houses every night as protection from the 'Rascal Gangs'. They have been known to throw rocks through taxi windows at night to stop the vehicle and rob/rape the occupants. Every supermarket has security people carrying baseball bats for shoplifters. If you go to a restaurant in the evening (if you are crazy enough to) the doormen are guys dressed in grass skirts with a bow and arrows. Screw up there and you are nailed, literally.
Motels have very high galvanized iron fences with spikes on top. There is a 10 p.m curfew. After that they release six or more rottweilers in the compound.
I could go on and on but my point is: self-defense is vital...anywhere.

P.S jaynewcastle seems to think I was implying the attack was recent? I merely set up a google alert for Sihanookville to get anything that was going on a place I may retire to. When I began the discussion I did not look at the date of the posting merely that it had happened and what self-defense weapons are permitted. In South Africa whites are permitted to carry sidearms. The police do stipulate though that if you shoot a black one must do it through a closed car window. Report to the nearest police station and there is no charge. Far fetched? Far fetched is believing that 9/11 was not an inside job.
It is bad luck to be superstitious!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

P.S jaynewcastle seems to think I was implying the attack was recent? I merely set up a google alert for Sihanookville to get anything that was going on a place I may retire to. When I began the discussion I did not look at the date of the posting merely that it had happened and what self-defense weapons are permitted. In South Africa whites are permitted to carry sidearms. The police do stipulate though that if you shoot a black one must do it through a closed car window. Report to the nearest police station and there is no charge. Far fetched? Far fetched is believing that 9/11 was not an inside job.
Well, I think this proves conclusively that you can find any silly shit you want on the internet.
It doesn't seem like a very rational way to decide where you are going to retire; to take one TA report about a mad white guy who may have attacked tourists with an iron bar, many years ago, and who is probably not in Sihanoukville anymore or we would have heard about it.

The best self-defense in Sihanoukville is common sense. It is ridiculous to compare Cambodia with PNG or SA and what does 9/11 have to do with anything? :roll:

Oh, and if you shoot at local people here, you would probably not make it alive to the nearest police station, where in any case they would beat the shit out of you. Anyway it is illegal to carry a gun.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

You are a violence-infatuated nutcase. I would happily wire you double the standard bribe payable to your average corrupt but amiable Cambodian traffic cop not to set foot in Sville or anywhere else in the K-dom. And double that to retire to Port Morsby.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Otis wrote:You are a violence-infatuated nutcase. I would happily wire you double the standard bribe payable to your average corrupt but amiable Cambodian traffic cop not to set foot in Sville or anywhere else in the K-dom. And double that to retire to Port Morsby.
Now Otis, that's very generous of you or maybe we should have a crowd-funding thing - if necessary, i'm sure a lot of folks would chip in to keep him away, but hey, I'm sure he's being looked after very nicely at the Funny Farm. %)
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

The last paragraph, where he goes on about South Africa and 9/11 sounds like complete trolling. Clearly he's just reading stories from apartheid south Africa and applying them to today.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

MekongMouse wrote:The last paragraph, where he goes on about South Africa and 9/11 sounds like complete trolling. Clearly he's just reading stories from apartheid south Africa and applying them to today.
Yeah, quite agree, definitely a troll. But it seemed a bit :bad: to leave his post without rebuttal since it was coming up on searches.(Can't remember exactly - Sihanoukville violence or something.) He could end up like Moron Mark or Kooky Kate, with his comments taken seriously by the inexperienced and empty-headed. Hard to distinguish between trolls and idiots sometimes - or same same...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

any attacks like this can be met with at least 10 liters of bottled water.
it is deadly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic