Is a "Jew" a race or a religion?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
potty
Expatriate

Re: Is a "Jew" a race or a religion?

Post by potty »

they (middle easterners, including jews) came to Europe long before Christians (crusaders) and then muslims invaded Palestine (around 1100 ad I think).

with the roman army, apparently. all middle easterners (occupied by the romans).

they found the candle holder (menorahs) and other religious stuff at archeological sites in Germany (and Europe) from this time.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

So In Conclusion, a "Jew" is a race as well as a religion.
:D
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Who fucking cares?

tbh, I'm a bit sick of the constant focus on Judaism intruding in our lives. There rae other people in teh world who have also been through horrific things; this is Cambodia.

Do we have the same discussion about Buddhism/Khmers?

NO.

And there is no reasoning in the idea that only Israelis are 'real' Jews. The Jews originally came from what is now Iraq, perhaps teh 'real' Jews are the Iraqi ones.

In either case, I don't care.

I'd personally prefer it if every religious group kept it's yap shut so that I could watch a movie/live my life without some dodgy attempt at propaganda.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

OrangeDragon wrote:I did read it... I wasn't saying it was a true thing, only showing you where to find more information on it. none of it has been "proven", only suggested.

and wikipedia can totally be used as fact so long as you verify that the citations for the infor are valid and factual as well. .
Indeed. wikipedia articles are often edited by peers/experts, same as medical and scientific journals.

It's still maligned a lot, I suspect either by ignorant people or academic snobs who perceive it as a threat.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

This is a subject that is used to stir up hate and to divide people.
Most people are just people, not whatever race or religion they might belong to.
There are many hate-forums out there if you are into that.

I prefer to watch the rice grow.

That's my opinion. :dragonchase:
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

Yeah I agree, I think many people of caucasian or middle eastern or even central Asian decent would be able to put on a skullcap and blend in with the Israeli population just fine. Look at Bar Refaeli she could be out of Sweden and I wouldn't notice if I wasn't told beforehand.

There are certain looks we've gotten used to consider Jewish of decent, but digging deeper, history often has so many twists and turns, it is impossible to decipher precisely who is 100% jew or not these days.

How many people know their family's roots going back to the Roman times? No one really, I guess the Islandic community is a good case for not being related due to their isolated location, but even there you've had visitors settle, as you've had right here in Cambodia with the Dutch East India Company going back several hundred years.

History seems to repeat itself and religious fanatics are often keen to spark conflict for their own financial reward.
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

Can't believe that anyone has hasn't mentioned Sikhism.... and yes Jews are considered by some a race , and they have never ready married outside their faith....of course there are exception....
I was born with nothing , and I still have most of it left.

ChessCube Account name is generalchat
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic