Top 10 Best Indian Food Restaurants in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Top 10 Best Indian Food Restaurants in Phnom Penh, Cambo

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:I guess I am not into Indian foods as I tried a few times and I didn't like them. The smell is too strong for me.
I don't like it either. I think Sri Lanka and Idian food is similar. I still hate curry until now.
I guess not many Cambodians like Indian foods.
My ex wife (Cambodian) hated Indian food, said it was disgusting, even though she never tried it once.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Me thinks Khmer find Indians disgusting, therefore their food must be as well. I've seen signs in Thailand behind the front desk at hotels banning South Asians and a general disgust at the mention of Indian people in conversation w/Thais. Everybody's gotta look down on somebody i suppose.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
MekongMouse wrote:I ate their a few times in 2012, but went back this last January and was very disappointed. The food was served half cold, suggesting it was just being reheated from earlier... and also half cooked food sucks. I am not positive on the name, but my favorite is called everest or something. It is that place in BKK3, south of the monument, maybe st 63? Always consistent quality.
Your thinking of Mount Everest. One of my favorites in town.

I order from there once a month for my Indian fix.
That's the place, thanks!
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

One place that does not qualify for the list is Dosa Corner near the Monument off Sihanouk. I was anyhow nearby and dropped by for snack. The dal was soso and the samosas less so. Was cheap but wont make me come back.

Indian places compare badly in terms of qualify and pricing with Chinese, Vietnamese, and Khmer places. I should have had a pizza yesterday :)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

wackyjacky wrote:Me thinks Khmer find Indians disgusting, therefore their food must be as well. I've seen signs in Thailand behind the front desk at hotels banning South Asians and a general disgust at the mention of Indian people in conversation w/Thais. Everybody's gotta look down on somebody i suppose.
Methinks Khmers and Thais are quite different. Cambodia and India have strong historical and cultural links. I've never heard anyone saying anything disparaging about Indians here. If people don't always like the food it's because of the taste, most likely too spicy. I know Cambodians who do like Indian food too.

One place that does not qualify for the list is Dosa Corner near the Monument off Sihanouk.
I like Dosa Corner. The dosas are very good and cheap too.

Indian places compare badly in terms of qualify and pricing with Chinese, Vietnamese, and Khmer places.
Probably because India is much further away so ingredients are harder to source and therefore more expensive.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic