What do Cambodians not like about Western culture.

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: What do Cambodians not like about Western culture.

Post by Samouth »

MekongMouse wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:at a certain age, screwing and drinking become incompatible
Ok sorry to change the subject for a minute- what's the deal with separate bank accounts ? Why is this weird ? And how relevant is this to Cambodians - many people I know here do not have a bank account at all.
Just curious as to why this was on the list.

Right, carry on with drinking and screwing - not a particularly western pastime either...unless all these kids are virgin births.
I think Cambodians feel it signifies a lack of trust and unity in a marriage. And even with no bank account, isn't the traditional way of handling money for the husband to give it to the wife right away? That's basically a shared bank account.
This is the best answer @Mekong Mouse. I guess you must have lived and learned a lot about Cambodia culture. :)
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

MekongMouse wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:at a certain age, screwing and drinking become incompatible
Ok sorry to change the subject for a minute- what's the deal with separate bank accounts ? Why is this weird ? And how relevant is this to Cambodians - many people I know here do not have a bank account at all.
Just curious as to why this was on the list.

Right, carry on with drinking and screwing - not a particularly western pastime either...unless all these kids are virgin births.
I think Cambodians feel it signifies a lack of trust and unity in a marriage. And even with no bank account, isn't the traditional way of handling money for the husband to give it to the wife right away? That's basically a shared bank account.
that's true! Nothing secret between husband and wife.

Of course many Cambodian men don't know how to cook, not go shopping, not know how bagian things. So it's good that ATM with wife ... :p
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

John Bingham wrote:
Here are some points that Cambodians don't like about Western Culture

1. You guys are likely to have more partners in a life time.
2. You are too open.
3. You have separate bank account.
4. You don't look after your parents when they get old. Why not look after them instead of sending them to care home.
5. You spoil your kids.
6. You kiss and make love in public
1. We (men and women) might have more partners, but they are generally relationships which involve mutual respect, with the odd messy one-night stand thrown in. In my experience, visiting prostitutes is very much frowned upon in most western societies, and generally thought of as something only the desperate indulge in. It's almost unheard of for young men to visit prostitutes. Here it is commonplace, and the following study confirms that Cambodia has the highest proportion of (local) men who indulge in prostitution in the world: http://prostitution.procon.org/view.res ... eID=004119
Although I am quite aware that most Cambodian women do not have multiple partners, there are obviously a whole lot of Cambodian women who are involved in prostitution, so this skews the figures somewhat too.
Did they survey only in the city?
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

:dm: Blowjobs ??????????? :dm:
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

of course the wife gets all the monthly wages handed over.

as the likelyhood is near 1, that the man will have spent it on gambling, alcohol and prostitutes within a few days.

its acutally the biggest sign of mistrust possible.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

potty wrote:of course the wife gets all the monthly wages handed over.

as the likelyhood is near 1, that the man will have spent it on gambling, alcohol and prostitutes within a few days.

:thumb:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

prahkeitouj wrote: Did they survey only in the city?
No idea, I'd imagine they quizzed a large cross section of people from varied backgrounds. It's not as if prostitution is confined to the capital anyway.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

potty wrote:of course the wife gets all the monthly wages handed over.

:thumb: And furthermore, when you want money for these activities, presumably you have to lie about what you are going to do with the money - or do you just say to the wife "I"m off whoring and gambling tonight; give me $50" and she hands it over ?

Western couples often have a joint account as well as a personal account each. This means that neither of them has to explain their personal expenses, which involves a certain amount of trust.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Have to agree with a lot of them points, if compared to modern british culture
1. You guys are likely to have more partners in a life time. (the amount of people that have casual relationships/sexual relationships, the girls in england are no different than most bargirls but will f**k for free if you buy them a couple of drinks, some wont even take that much)
4. You don't look after your parents when they get old. Why not look after them instead of sending them to care home. (i wouldnt say so much as they dont take care of them, but living over here in cambodia i have noticed the strong family bond the siblings have with their elders, i was in the province for new year and its tradition there (and likely everywhere) that before they start playing with the water and powder that they get all the elders in the family and wash them first, and paid their respects to them, i thought that was pretty cool)
5. You spoil your kids. (my friends spoil their kids rotton, i personally wasnt spoilt as a kid, but a lot of modern kids do, i come from a generation where i didnt have mobile phones and social media, but this generation is very different, my friends kids have ipads, designer clothes etc. my kids wont be getting spoilt though, dont think its the right way to bring up kids, if i wanted something i had to buy it myself, i used to have to do chores round the house for £1 a week until i was 13 then i got a paperround)
6. You kiss and make love in public (public displays of effection are all too common in england, ive personally have grown to dislike it and can be quite reserved in public these days, maybe its through spending so much time here, and i think you would struggle to find an english person who hasnt engaged in public sexual activities of some kind
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic