Why visit rural Cambodia?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Why visit rural Cambodia?

Post by Mr Curious »

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I've decided the country will turn into a completely raped shithole in the next 15 years. The few rich (I don't care if they are mentally ill, they're evil) will knock down the forests and sell it off. They'll replant (SOMETIMES) rubber trees or maybe oil palms and the whole nation will look like the corridor from Toilet to PP. Which when it ain't dusty scrub is ricefields with a few palm trees stickin up. The poor will continue to concentrate in the cities as that is where they are best ab{used}. At least the majority won't be taught they are free and have a wonderful future, only to graduate and watch as they are cut out of the action in favor of outside investments. They know they are just tools and livestock. They'll endure it as usual. Maybe it would have been much better if Thailand and VN had split it down the middle and absorbed it.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Yep, Mr. Curious, that is totally within the realm of possibility. It's strange, I have always admired the Cambodian people for their tenacity and resilience; now I'm beginning to wonder if those qualities will cause their downfall.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Just spent 5 days in a village out in kampong cham province, beautiful place, but driving around cambodia you can see its not going to last forever, just hope it doesnt lose its cultural charm..
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

A way bit over dramatic!!!

Its the same here in Thailand and where i was in Burma 10 days ago.
dry, dry an dryer but its April
wait a month an the paddys will fill up, the rice will be planted and all will be back to normal

its been going on for hundreds, if not thousands of years

If they sell up that's their choice, who are you or anyone to look differently on them? Why should the kids stay on the land, just to get by year in year out? they want more and its every parents wish for their kids to have what they didn't have. You do what you need to get by ( you of all people should know this)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Nothing dramatic about ti. The local rice farmers last year lost their butts due to precarious weather conditions and a lack of irrigation based on their knowledge of /traditional weather patterns. By selling the land, they do NOT improve the lives of their children. They are separate issues. You are totally ignorant of rural life in rural Cambodian and you choose to attack me for personal reasons and disguise it as a knowledge of rural Cambodian. You have never lived in a small village and never acquired linguistic skills to communicate with them. You are a fraud. And I never said they shouldn't sell; I simply indicated that there would be consequences that they could not envision. But fuck you and have another mediocre day here. You of all people are totally aware of your vapid intellect.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic