ASEAN 2015

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

ASEAN 2015

Post by EdinWigan »

With the fast approach of the ASEAN 2015 implimentation, do you think it will have an effect of the ex-pat life in Cambodia and if so how?
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: ASEAN 2015

Post by flying chicken »

I heard about this hype 3 years ago, a year afterward, and then last year. It aint going to happen anytime soon. The only thing might impact foreigners in the Kingdom is visa stuff, for now.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Last year living in Bali there was an APEC/ASEAN or some other kinda type of Asian summit while I was there. Only thing I heard was getting flights in and out on the two days leading up and two days after was almost impossible. Added to that, I heard of people waiting on the tarmac up to four hours while important tin was being shuffled in.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'm less than convinced they'll actually kick off the AEC in 2015. Let's wait and see.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Not sure about what they plan to do exactly.
For what I know look a little like the European union, so will probably failed, at least if it is as badly implemented.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:Last year living in Bali there was an APEC/ASEAN or some other kinda type of Asian summit while I was there. Only thing I heard was getting flights in and out on the two days leading up and two days after was almost impossible. Added to that, I heard of people waiting on the tarmac up to four hours while important tin was being shuffled in.
The Denpasar airport got a rebuild for ASEAN, but any poor fool flying in/out during the final prep has to walk about a kilometre along the runway, and then a kilometre back inside the building (I exaggerate, but not by much) to work around the security preparations. My Tourettes seemed to be strongly affected by this.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

I am very surprised no one here thinks there will be any change
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Well, the new airport is a nice change. The Balinese don't like it, but is that a factor anyway?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ just before Captain Obvious rocks along once again:
- no, I did not come down in the last shower of rain, and
- I DO realise the OP is about a different summit.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

from http://www.asean.org/asean/about-asean/history

"On 8 August 1967, five leaders - the Foreign Ministers of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand - sat down together in the main hall of the Department of Foreign Affairs building in Bangkok, Thailand and signed a document. By virtue of that document, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) was born."

Originally, it was planned that the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) would start on 01 Jan 2015 but they realised that there was no way that was going to happen, so they moved the start date to 31 Dec 2015.

Yes, very clever... the AEC will still begin in 2015 but just 364 days later.

The AEC is based on the European Economic Community (EEC), the forerunner to the European Union (EU).

You can read what they've got planned so far in the link below. It's a PDF but not too long:

http://www.asean.org/archive/5187-10.pdf
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic