What brought you here? What made you stay?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: What brought you here? What made you stay?

Post by General Mackevili »

Brought me here?

Cheap booze and lovely women.

Made me stay?

Cheap booze and lovely women.

I visited Cambodia on my 2-year holiday, and when it was time to work again, I came back here.

Loved the laid back feeling of a small, sleepy capital city.

That has disappeared, but in its place has emerged a happening little city with a slight traffic problem!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

dagenham wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
dagenham wrote:I'm truly flabbergasted at the high number of peeps citing "visa" as the #1 reason for staying here. What an inane reason for choosing a place to live long-term (or for the rest of your days). All other SEA countries have visa rules that can be dealt with in some way (VN, Laos, Thailand, etc.) - mostly by getting a job or crossing the border once in awhile.

Surely the visa should be factor, but not the primary motivating one. It appears that all those people don't really have a "real engaged life" here. It's the only country that they can find that will let them stay easily. Frankly, this is astounding to me as it basically devalues all the other legitimate and valid reasons to live in Cambodia. There are myriad characteristics of Cambodia that influence me to stay here. The visa is way down my personal list.
I have to agree. I never even bothered researching the visa situation until after my first trip. I'd essentially decided to live here (or at least, try it out temporarily) before even looking into visas. Might not have been so wise, but I lucked out I guess. However, I can understand why retirees or people who do freelance work (writers, IT consultants etc) might want to narrow down their "living abroad" choices based on visa requirements.
True that. Of course the visa is a central concern in any foreign country where you live but....the #1 deciding factor? Really now?
Why is it so astonishing? If a person is not able to live somewhere that is pretty important. So visa would have to be pretty much number one on the list. I would love to live in North Korea but I can not get a visa to do so. Joking there, but you get the idea.

Ask ex pats and retirees what countries they would like to live in compared to where they actually are and you will find a lot of them are staying where they can get visas. Look at what is happening in Thailand and then say visas are of only minor concern.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Brought me here? Escaping Bangkok, where I had intended to move until the miserable expat community made me think twice.

Stay here? I like it. I can afford to be pretty much anywhere in the world but I like Cambodia. I like the temples and the history and the mysteries surrounding both. I like my apartment. I like Siem Reap. I like the expats around me and the locals.

Given that an ED visa for Thailand really isn't all that expensive and is easy to get (even now following crackdowns) anyone who wanted to be there (and can be arsed to get out of bed for a couple of Thai lessons a week) can be there. I just like Cambodia better.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

We came over last year for me to get dental treatment. We loved Cambodia, went home and packed up.
I love that I can run my business and pay no tax, with cheap everything and a stunning lifestyle-what's not to love!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

rozzieoz wrote: I love that I can run my business and pay no tax,
Don't worry, they'll catch up with you eventually. The back taxes will be the killer. :evil:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

The Australian tax office? Lol good luck with that
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

rozzieoz wrote:We came over last year for me to get dental treatment. We loved Cambodia, went home and packed up.
I love that I can run my business and pay no tax, with cheap everything and a stunning lifestyle-what's not to love!
rozzieoz wrote:The Australian tax office? Lol good luck with that
Yup, sorry, income still needs to be reported in country of nationality.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Is that true if she incorporates her business in Cambodia?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Really wasn't asking for business advice but thanks ;)
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

So I guess the best of Thailand has in fact made its way to Cambodia. :thumb:
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic