How to rent a property in Cambodia: a wise man's guide

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: How to rent a property in Cambodia: a wise man’s guide

Post by StroppyChops »

UKJ wrote:What's a slush bucket, and why is it better than a fridge?
I don't know what the UK calls them, but these are eskies in Australia and chillybins in NZ (?) and SA. I don't know why they're better.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sohi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Sohi »

StroppyChops wrote:
I don't know what the UK calls them, but these are eskies in Australia and chillybins in NZ (?) and SA. I don't know why they're better.
Any bucket filled with ice and water does the job, it's better as it can chill beers much faster and to a colder temp then an electric fridge
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

much colder if you use salt too
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I had mostly shit luck driving around taking numbers down. Many vastly overpriced.

Used a couple agents and found a place which annoyed me as we just missed out on this street when driving without the agent. Of course the landlord privately said to my misses "you should have come without the agent and saved some money." I dislike the games you get with agents and one was sending nonsense to us "the apartment is gone soon" "The air is so fresh" "the price is lower because i lowered my commission for you."

Found 2 places I liked and made offers which were initially rejected. Thats when the misses starts believing the nonsense and pressuring me to take the asking price. I didn't and both landlords/agents came with lower offers 2 days later at the amount i expected (middle of my offer and their initial asking). Took one and it thankfully not the agent spewing nonsense.

I would say agents are a viable option however agree that driving around is the most likely to get you the best deal and it would have benefited me if I went over 2 more damned blocks!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Sohi wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Any bucket filled with ice and water does the job, it's better as it can chill beers much faster and to a colder temp then an electric fridge
Ah yes, direct transference... here's a thing for those that don't know it. Want to chill wine or beer much faster than you can in the freezer? Wet some paper towel (use a dish cloth if you don't have paper towel) and wrap it around the bottle/can - chuck it in the freezer, check it 10 minutes later.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

vladimir wrote:Click on the green Karma + button under my avatar, I think that's how it works

No problem if you can't add karma
Today when I signed in, the Karma machine was activated. LOL. Before this, the +/- signs were not showing under avatars. Must be a post count thing that activates it.

Addendum: it appears as though one can't award more than one point. I'll have to start a thread asking the Big Bosses how the karma machine works.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

GMJS, from your post, it sounds like you are speaking direct to these people.Mistake. get a Khmer to do it, and at no time show your face until a Khmer has seen it and confirmed the rental price.

Agents? NO!NO!NO!

Ever.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

I used agents...I had no problem. They showed me some fantastic places that even with me driving around I would have never been able to find. Just told him my price range and the area....called me back 2 or 3 days later. Had 3-5 to show me. It was a good experience.

The place I'm in now is on a dead end 1 block over from russian market. The apartment brand new cause I'm the first tenant. My landlord takes good care of me. Whats not to like? No option to buy which would have been nice.

question though
Many times the people hustling your electricity and water are the owners, be aware of this.

What is the fair price? I paid 1,200 riel per KW in all my places.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

"chillybins in NZ"

pronounced "chullybun"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

frank lee bent wrote:"chillybins in NZ"

pronounced "chullybun"
I believe that's "chullybuns'bro" or "chullybuns'aye" depending on which island you're on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic