Various farang beat-downs in Pattaya

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Various farang beat-downs in Pattaya

Post by Samouth »

Soi Dog wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:
Samouth wrote:Poor old indian guys. BTW why did he carry so much money with him if he knew that he is drinking. It seems like Pattaya is not a safe place to visit especially when you are a foreigner.
Stumble around obviously drunk in the wee hours with a pocket full of cash and you will pretty much get yourself in trouble in most places on the planet. That probably is true for locals and foreigner alike.
So if i happen to visit Thailand one day. Should i go visit Pattaya or just skip it and go further to Southern Thailand like Phuket?
Pattaya is pretty much "vice city" with a mix of drink, drugs and prostitution thrown in. It does attract it's share of idiots, losers and thugs. Not much natural beauty. That doesn't mean you can't have fun and feel safe there. If you've never been there it will be an eye opener for you. But if you only want a pleasant, relaxing vacation with nice scenery, Pattaya won't fit the bill.

I should say that Pattaya seems to have a strong youth gang culture, judging by the local news stories I read. Groups of Thai boys violently attack each other on a regular basis. If you were to be mistaken for a Thai teen, you might find yourself set upon by such a gang. It's not very common that those youth gangs attack non-Thais or tourists, but like that Indian man, it can happen if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
i agree that Pattaya is a vice city. i have been told a lot of about by Cambodian who have been there. Some of them didn't suggest me to visit there but some did. However, if i happen to visit Thailand one day i will surely visit pattaya. As you said, i want to have eye opening experience. :). BTW if i am going there i will go alone as non of my friends are interested in travelling abroad. I hope that i will be fine travelling alone in Thailand.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Samouth I live in Pattaya and would certainly recommend you see it once. Overwhelmingly the crime cases reported are late at night usually well after midnight when the people concerned are drunk and behaving badly. They are isolated cases considering the thousands out enjoying themselves every day and night. To provoke Thais into violence you have to be a complete and utter idiot as I still think they exert extreme restraint and tolerance given the behaviour of some idiots who would probably fair a lot worse in most countries were they to behave in the same way.

If you ever make it across I will take you under my wing and ensure you have a good time. :beer3: I think it's impossible not to, especially the first time !
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Samouth wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:
Samouth wrote:Poor old indian guys. BTW why did he carry so much money with him if he knew that he is drinking. It seems like Pattaya is not a safe place to visit especially when you are a foreigner.
Stumble around obviously drunk in the wee hours with a pocket full of cash and you will pretty much get yourself in trouble in most places on the planet. That probably is true for locals and foreigner alike.
So if i happen to visit Thailand one day. Should i go visit Pattaya or just skip it and go further to Southern Thailand like Phuket?
Pattaya is pretty much "vice city" with a mix of drink, drugs and prostitution thrown in. It does attract it's share of idiots, losers and thugs. Not much natural beauty. That doesn't mean you can't have fun and feel safe there. If you've never been there it will be an eye opener for you. But if you only want a pleasant, relaxing vacation with nice scenery, Pattaya won't fit the bill.

I should say that Pattaya seems to have a strong youth gang culture, judging by the local news stories I read. Groups of Thai boys violently attack each other on a regular basis. If you were to be mistaken for a Thai teen, you might find yourself set upon by such a gang. It's not very common that those youth gangs attack non-Thais or tourists, but like that Indian man, it can happen if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
i agree that Pattaya is a vice city. i have been told a lot of about by Cambodian who have been there. Some of them didn't suggest me to visit there but some did. However, if i happen to visit Thailand one day i will surely visit pattaya. As you said, i want to have eye opening experience. :). BTW if i am going there i will go alone as non of my friends are interested in travelling abroad. I hope that i will be fine travelling alone in Thailand.
Pattaya is a crazy place. I don't personally like it, but I think you should visit at least once. I wouldn't do any drugs or get too drunk there though. Honestly, I don't get why central & southern Thailand is so popular with tourists; I've always thought the north was sooo much nicer. Visit Chiang Mai if you have the chance. You can take the train from Bangkok and if you don't want to go all the way in one trip, there are a lot of great towns to stop by. I believe Ayathuya and Lop Buri are both about halfway there and both really fun to visit.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

British Bar Owner fights off gang of youths in East Pattaya
11 April, 2015
In the early hours of Friday a 33 year old British Bar Owner fought off a gang of 6 youths who were intent on stealing his valuable motorbike.

Mr. Danny Daniels was on his way to check on his Beer Bar in Soi Buakhao and was travelling down Soi Kao Noi in East Pattaya when a gang of 6 men on 3 motorbikes cut him off and forced him to skid and fall onto the road.

The 6 young men approached Mr. Daniels and proceeded to attack him with their safety helmets and an attempt was made to steal his Red Honda PCX motorbike, which is worth an estimated 60,000 Baht.

Mr. Daniels, decided to fight back and sustained facial injuries and a split-lip in the process, but he successfully overpowered the gang who retreated.

Nongpue Police are investigating the incident and are checking security cameras in the area in an attempt to arrest those responsible for the late night attack.
http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/1831 ... t-pattaya/
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

MekongMouse wrote: Pattaya is a crazy place. I don't personally like it, but I think you should visit at least once. I wouldn't do any drugs or get too drunk there though. Honestly, I don't get why central & southern Thailand is so popular with tourists; I've always thought the north was sooo much nicer. Visit Chiang Mai if you have the chance. You can take the train from Bangkok and if you don't want to go all the way in one trip, there are a lot of great towns to stop by. I believe Ayathuya and Lop Buri are both about halfway there and both really fun to visit.
For Thailand I am really into phi phi island. I really want to visit there. If I happen to visit Thailand one day I will go to visit Bangkok then puket and phi phi island. Many people also said that northern Thailand is beautiful. I think I can't go visit many spots in one trip. I think I will do it later.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic