Hello / Anyone for a beer?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Hello / Anyone for a beer?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Did I say 172 was seedy or "seedy" ?- note the use of quotation marks - it is sometimes considered "seedy" because it was becoming a popular place to drop dead for a while there.
I actually quite like it, but I think VD was talking about avoiding seedy areas or something along those lines.

Good to hear you're having a good time now, VD :thumb:
(But if you get bitten by a street kid, make sure you get tetanus and rabies shots. :stir:
I'm kidding - most of them don't bite.)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

So you said it's ""seedy"" not "seedy." :thumb:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

172 is """seedy""", 136 is ""seedy"", 51 is "seedy" and GM is straight up seedy.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

MekongMouse wrote:172 is """seedy""", 136 is ""seedy"", 51 is "seedy" and GM is straight up seedy.
I hope you meant "GSM" and not "GM." Both are correct though. :twisted:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

I meant GM, lol! but yeah you're right both work!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

MekongMouse wrote:172 is """seedy""", 136 is ""seedy"", 51 is "seedy" and GM is straight up seedy.
Yeah, what he said.

And some people even find PP seedy in general - "PP seedy" search gives:

http://holeinthedonut.com/2012/08/11/ph ... ts-sports/
I wasn’t sure what to expect. From my earlier visit to Siem Reap I knew that Cambodians were eager to adopt Western dress and capitalism, yet I’d also heard that Phnom Penh was the juvenile prostitution capital of the world.[WTF ??]
Early the next morning we met in the hotel lobby, eager to begin exploring the city. I barely noticed the underage girls in short, tight dresses and high heels, slouching around a big wooden table in a dark corner of the lobby, but Larry did. “I think there’s more going on here than just a hotel business,” he remarked casually as we stepped out the front door and into a blast furnace.
Seedy, "seedy" or ""seedy'''' ??? or total imagination ?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

StroppyChops wrote:Cool! A new poster that is NOT a Franciscan sock puppet! Welcome.
:lol:

MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Yeah, what he said.

And some people even find PP seedy in general - "PP seedy" search gives:

http://holeinthedonut.com/2012/08/11/ph ... ts-sports/
I wasn’t sure what to expect. From my earlier visit to Siem Reap I knew that Cambodians were eager to adopt Western dress and capitalism, yet I’d also heard that Phnom Penh was the juvenile prostitution capital of the world.[WTF ??]
Early the next morning we met in the hotel lobby, eager to begin exploring the city. I barely noticed the underage girls in short, tight dresses and high heels, slouching around a big wooden table in a dark corner of the lobby, but Larry did. “I think there’s more going on here than just a hotel business,” he remarked casually as we stepped out the front door and into a blast furnace.
Seedy, "seedy" or ""seedy'''' ??? or total imagination ?
In the comments, she mentions the hotel name Sakara, which I googled and found out is "Sakara Hotel and Massage" - lol, so the young girls were probably adult masseuses. What makes no sense is all this BS about being polite. If I actually thought there were underage girls being pimped out of the hotel I was staying, I would inform the authorities and leave right away. So she's either comfortable turning a blind eye or she knows on some level that she's imagining things.

In fact, reading more of the comments, the latter appears to be true. Observe this backtracking:
Hi Heather: Prostitution with adolescents is a fact of life in Cambodia, however I don’t know if any of the girls in the hotel were underage – most of them looked to be at least 18. I think I would have had a much stronger reaction if I saw it happening with young girls.
So, uh, which is it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic