Ethical dilemma: Kill one to save others ?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Ethical dilemma: Kill one to save others ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 56842.html

If you could travel back in time, would you kill Hitler (or Pol Pot) ? Men are more likely to say yes according to this study. :assasin:
It is a common ethical dilemma set by philosophy professors – is it right to kill someone to prevent further deaths?

According to scientists the answer differs depending on your gender, with women less likely to commit murder because they have a stronger aversion to harmful action.

Researchers from the US, Germany and Canada analysed data that asked 6,100 people a range moral questions, including whether they would kill a young Adolf Hitler to stop the Second World War.

While men and women both calculated the consequences of their decision and computed how many lives might be saved, females found it harder to commit murder and were more likely to let Hitler live.

Another scenario imagined a member of a group hiding from soldiers being handed a crying baby. Participants were asked whether they would smother the child to save the group or let it live and be caught.

A hypothetical situation that did not involve murder questioned whether a person would be willing to have their daughter carry out sex work, so they could buy food for the rest of their starving family.

Difficult moral questions, but hypothetical. I wonder what sort of answers you would get from Cambodians who had to survive during the Pol Pot regime ? This article puts the emphasis on the fact that men are readier to kill for the common good than women, but i'm not sure this is true if their children are directly threatened ?
Intriguing questions which don't give entirely satisfactory answers IMO.
Gaudente
Expatriate

Re: Ethical dilemma: Kill one to save others ?

Post by Gaudente »

why would I kill Hitler ? He was a good man who freed his country from Jewish banksters. He was declared war upon by UK and France , yet offered them peace many times so that he could rid the world of bolscevic scum , but again the Jews used their international influence to reject his peace proposals and to trick UK and USA into fighting him , in spite of the evidence they had no interest in doing that (for UK the war actually costed her the Empire). If I could travel in time, I'd rather kill Churchill and Roosevelt instead. That would have ended the terror reign of Soviet Union, prevented Mao take power in China and saved tens of millions lives.

[THIS USER IS NOW BANNED. I ONLY LEFT THIS POST SO YOU CAN SEE ONE OF THE MANY REASONS I THINK A BAN IS WARRANTED. MACKEVILI.]
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

I think it is time to ban Gaudente. He's made it perfectly clear he's either actually this fucked up or he's just trolling and ruining the flow of conversation on purpose. Either way he contributes nothing.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

MekongMouse wrote:I think it is time to ban Gaudente. He's made it perfectly clear he's either actually this fucked up or he's just trolling and ruining the flow of conversation on purpose. Either way he contributes nothing.
I think I have to agree with you. Image

It's just one questionable post after another.

Truly sorry, Guantanamo. Image

BANNED.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Now we can debate whether it is ethical to ban Gaudente in order to save CEO? :stir:
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Some people say that Hitler shortened the War by being drugged up and crazy.

But they did try to off him at first then called off later attempts.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I should've known that the H word would bring out the crazies. But it was in the original article so can't really call it a godwin.
MekongMouse wrote:Now we can debate whether it is ethical to ban Gaudente in order to save CEO? :stir:
Yes. It is.

Is it a sock?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic