Less than a week many young Cambodians died from drowning

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Less than a week many young Cambodians died from drownin

Post by Samouth »

so sad. we really need to have swimming training program at school. However, i don't think we can do it in near future since some schools still don't have enough buildings and equipment. What a poor country and poor people.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Samouth wrote:so sad. we really need to have swimming training program at school. However, i don't think we can do it in near future since some schools still don't have enough buildings and equipment. What a poor country and poor people.
Samouth. The way it works - at least where I know - is that the govt or the local authority pay for the land, the buildings and the swimming pool. Then sometimes it is run privately, sometimes by the local authorities, and they pay the running costs, the maintenance, the salaries.
All the schools are allowed use of the swimming pool at certain times to teach kids to swim and be safe in the water - this is usually free or very cheap. The schools organize buses to take each class once a week or once a month or whatever. When the school are not using the pool they get people to pay to swim there, sometimes they have some shops to make even more money.

It is too expensive for every school to have a swimming pool, but there can be one pool in every town for sharing between the schools and paying customers.

I know that Cambodia is a poor country, but I don't think that a swimming pool costs more than a Lexus, so if just one fat-cat in every town sold just one of his Lexus...well, you get the idea.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Samouth wrote:so sad. we really need to have swimming training program at school. However, i don't think we can do it in near future since some schools still don't have enough buildings and equipment. What a poor country and poor people.
Samouth. The way it works - at least where I know - is that the govt or the local authority pay for the land, the buildings and the swimming pool. Then sometimes it is run privately, sometimes by the local authorities, and they pay the running costs, the maintenance, the salaries.
All the schools are allowed use of the swimming pool at certain times to teach kids to swim and be safe in the water - this is usually free or very cheap. The schools organize buses to take each class once a week or once a month or whatever. When the school are not using the pool they get people to pay to swim there, sometimes they have some shops to make even more money.

It is too expensive for every school to have a swimming pool, but there can be one pool in every town for sharing between the schools and paying customers.

I know that Cambodia is a poor country, but I don't think that a swimming pool costs more than a Lexus, so if just one fat-cat in every town sold just one of his Lexus...well, you get the idea.
This is such a good idea. However the thing is that it is really hard when it comes to implementation. The biggest problem is that many adult Cambodians didn't realise or know about the benefit if knowing how to swimming. i guess it is really tricky for them to pay money for their kid's swimming lessons, especially people in the province. Many people would find it useless and reluctant to pay for it. Many of them would suggest their kids to go to the river or pond to learn how to swim.

I think almost all the provinces in Cambodia have provincial stadium and i am not use if every stadium has swimming pool. However, if it does has, it is still there is no one there to teach them.

Taking about rich people in Cambodia. They are so selfish. Most of them don't have the culture of sharing.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Anchor Moy wrote: I know that Cambodia is a poor country, but I don't think that a swimming pool costs more than a Lexus, so if just one fat-cat in every town sold just one of his Lexus...well, you get the idea.
Now you're just talking crazy.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Everyone have good ideas. My Vietnamese friend told me that in Vietnam every kids has to take swimming course. But in my poor country , poor destiny for poor people. It's very expensive for poor people to spend 5$ just for entering swimming pool one time. Don't you think it often happen in poor families and in rural area?
In public schools we don't have swimming class and swimming pool, but private schools have it or bring their students to learn how to swim.
The problem is money. Who will support it? Government? NOG? Teachers or students' families?
The swimming pool is not too expensive ,but the land in the city is tooo expensive. In the provinces, land is not so expensive, but the problem is the coaches and the distance from schools to the swimming pool. Or one school one swimming pool or swim in the rivers or ponds?
I agree that everyone's ideas are very good. I hope govenrment will see the advantages of swimming class and apply it in National curriculum one day. And I do hope that parents will try their best to help their kids to swim.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic