A Day Out - Kbal Chhay Waterfall, Ream Beach etc

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

A Day Out - Kbal Chhay Waterfall, Ream Beach etc

Post by rozzieoz »

A week or so ago we had a really lovely day out with a Khmer friend, I thought I would share some photos.

We started off riding from Sihanoukville to Kbal Chhay Waterfall- turn off about 7km out of town then about 10km of dirt road. It's red dusty dirt, wear old clothes!

The waterfall and rapids are quite something. There are Khmer picnic platforms all the way along the river but to me, they added to the atmosphere. Theres no mistaking you are in Cambodia. There wasn't a lot of rubbish and the water looked really clean. We went back yesterday (which reminded me to post this!) and had a lovely swim. There are swimming and paddling spots all the way up the river and a walk along the river bank through the forest as well. I loved it, it wasn't very crowded and is a really lovely spot to take the Kindle and relax. I did some Googling, frim Wiki "Until 1963 Kbal Chhay was a source for providing clean-water to Sihanoukville, but the arrangement ended when it became a hiding place for the Khmer Rouge.

In 1998 Kbal Chhay was developed by the Kok An Company who in constructing a road in the area developed the site for local and international tourists. Today the Royal Government of Cambodia has regained control of the site and once again uses it as a clean water source for the nearby city."

We then went to our lunch spot, a shrimp / crab farm. What an amazing experience! If you haven't dont this, you have to! The farmer was the loveliest guy, and we had the yummiest seafood! Little raw shrimps (which I didn't eat on the day because I was so worried about them being raw and only found out a couple of weeks later how unbelievably yum they are!), pepper crab, fish and then steamed crab, rice and salad. We took drinks. We PIGGED out for about $10 a head and took the leftovers home.

You ring the farmer the day before (or get a Khmer speaking person to ring in our case), tell him what you want to eat and he prepares everything for you.

Getting across to the fishing shack was tricky, to say the least. I'm not the daintiest or most delicate girl and omg, I thought I was going to go in a few times! You have to balance on a homemade raft and pull yourself across with a flimsy rope. It was a stunning experience though, one of those times you know you live in another country. These are the sorts of experiences we moved here for, to get out of our rut and know we are alive.

Lunch was on the floor, relaxed, unhurried and absolutely delicious. He loves having visitors so if anyone wants the details, I will get them for you. If you go, take him some meat or chicken, he's sick of fish lol.

After lunch settled, we went for a drive to Ream Beach. It is STUNNING! What a beautiful beach, lined with a row of coconut palms, just magnificently South East Asian.

We then went for a bit more of a drive- to another beach which is well off the beaten track and not touristed at all. I can't remember the name, sorry! Absolutely magnificent! Sad to see some rubbish even there. Our friend told us they had a big rave party a few years back and noone ever went back to pick up the rubbish.

The only other negative on the day (other than a saddle sore butt) was a whole lot of forest that has been obliterated and was burning- not sure what that was about, but it didn't look good.

Even so- It was great to get out of town and do some exploring with a local, give it a go if you haven't already.

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: A Day Out - Kbal Chhay Waterfall, Ream Beach etc

Post by StroppyChops »

Good post rozzie
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Ream Beach and Kbal Chhay seem the quiet places, but I like when the nature is not poluted by people. I like the post, rozzieoz :thumb:
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I think i haven't been to Kbal Chaay for so long. If i remembered correctly i haven't been around there for more than 10 years. When i was young, my family has been there quite often. Now we don't find it interesting anymore.

Ream is my hometown. I don't live close to the beach, it is roughly 10 km from house. My house is close to the Air Port which is just along the way to the Ream beach. I have been there countless time. I saw you went to the village by the sea (It called Phoum Oug). I guess you might have seen a iron bridge there. It was my favorite spot for fishing. 10 years ago, Ream beach is one of the best beach in Sihanouvkille. The water and sand were really clean. It was an untouched spot. Everything was amazing beautiful.

Relate to the coconut palm. If i remembered correctly 4 or 5 years ago, there were thousand of coconut trees down there, however, they were all cut down and the land was sold to the rich people for the development by Sihanoukvill governor ( I am not sure). So far, the development is dead. There was nothing happen.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Good trip report; thanks for taking the time. :hattip:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

You're welcome :)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Nice report!
Eros
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Eros »

Hey Rozzie, pls send me the details. Ill be taking extended family down to SHV later this week so will make a fine day trip.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic