Stories, cows and husbands that wander

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Stories, cows and husbands that wander

Post by taabarang »

Thank you for the friendly prod, but my reading in French, German, and Romanian keeps me quite busy. I know you do not approve of my rustic Cambodian, but it serves me well with not only my fellow illiterate village friends and neighbors, but throughout Cambodia.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
starkmonster
Expatriate

Post by starkmonster »

I don't disapprove of it at all. I'm not sure why you think that, but I do think that learning to read Khmer accelerates the learning process in many ways. I spoke Khmer without being able to read it for years, when I finally took the plunge and learned to read I found it accelerated my learning a lot.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

bahasa is easy to learn with 21 characters and phonetic. one official transliteration.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Yeah Frank, the comparative simplicity of Bahasa compared to Khmer certainly has its charm, but unfortunately I live in Cambodia, not Indonesia, Malaysia, or someplace where there is a significant diaspora of Bahasa speakers.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

a push for an accepted transliteration using phonetics would be a boon for both Khmer and Barang.
given the hodge podge willy nilly status quo is it not a cause to advocate for?
it is politically charged historically this subject.

the founders of modern Indonesia saw the value in the model.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Sadly as I'm learning Khmer I'm rapidly forgetting Bahasa - last time we were in Sumatra (the restaurant in TTP) I opened my mouth to have a full conversation with the Indonesian lady who runs the place, and tripped over which greeting to use for the time of day. She blinked in confusion as we've chatted before.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic