New book on S-21 by former PP Post editor

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

New book on S-21 by former PP Post editor

Post by Soi Dog »

Journalist Robert Carmichael’s new book When the Clouds Fell From the Sky follows Cambodian diplomat Ouk Ket into the S-21 torture and interrogation centre and details the devastating repercussions for his family in France and Cambodia

In 2009, Frenchwoman Martine Lefeuvre testified at the Khmer Rouge Tribunal where Kaing Guek Eav, better known as Comrade Duch, was on trial for crimes against humanity, war crimes, homicide and torture.

In the witness box, Lefeuvre, who had only visited Cambodia once before in 1991, recalled her family’s three decades of suffering caused by Duch, who had signed her husband Ouk Ket’s death warrant at Phnom Penh’s S-21 prison on December 9, 1977.

“Ket’s suffering was and still is our suffering, and far from diminishing with time, I can tell you that the suffering is in fact more and more intense,” said Lefeuvre, adding that Ket was just one of 301 names on a death list authorised by Duch that day.

While S-21, also known as Tuol Sleng, has been the subject of many books about the Khmer Rouge, a new work by South African journalist Robert Carmichael, a former Phnom Penh Post managing editor, uses Ket and his family’s story to provide a fresh perspective on the harrowing site.

Combining extensive historical research and analysis with colourful narrative, When Clouds Fell From the Sky is arguably the most vivid and terrifying literary portrait of the prison to date.

The book begins with Ket’s return to Cambodia in June 1977 – a foreign diplomat posted at the Cambodian embassy in Senegal for the previous five years, he had received a letter from Phnom Penh requesting he come back to Cambodia “per the advice of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Democratic Kampuchea” to “get educated to better fulfill [his] responsibilities”.

Adamant that refugee reports trickling across the Thai border of murder and starvation were untrue, he departed for Beijing to catch the weekly flight to Phnom Penh – the country’s only formal link with the outside world.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1472143744/

much more...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... ol-sleng-0
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: New book on S-21 by former PP Post editor

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks SD. :thumb:
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I feel my brain stop working when I read about S-21.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

It is a new book to read. I will manage to get it and read.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Did you buy it, Samouth?
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:Did you buy it, Samouth?
I will try to find it. I haven't bought it yet.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic