My two Cambodian friends need advice.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: My two Cambodian friends need advice.

Post by Duncan »

Come in Raz.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:Hi Samouth . The reality is that large parts of Europe are very dirty. Air pollution is a big problem, especially in the UK. In Paris at the moment they are restricting the number of cars because the air is so dirty it is dangerous to breathe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26257703

https://www.google.fr/search?q=UK+citie ... 61&bih=520

Also in many cities there is a lot of rubbish littering the streets, just like Cambodia.

I am not saying "Don't go there, Samouth", but you will be disappointed if you are expecting too much. If you go there, you should be prepared for real life.
I really don't know about this for sure. Since, i have never been to any European countries and according to the link you attached, i believe you.

I wonder what cities were you referring too, as i always learned about so many cities in Europe by watching on youtube, not to mention they actually look really clean.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:Oz would be a far softer landing.
Agree. At least it's not so frigging cold.
(And how to explain real cold to a Cambodian ?? Sometimes when I arrive in the European winter from Asia, I think I am going crazy, the cold turns me mental. Very hard to describe.)

Do you specifically want to go to the UK Samouth? I know the Australian govt also do scholarships.
To experience the winter in any cold countries is one of the thing i want to do in my life time. I want see snow with my eye and touch it with my hands. Many people said, it is completely cold. However, since you have never experienced it, you would never know.

Nope, i don't specifically want to go to the UK. I don't mind to go to any countries to continue my graduate degree, but it must be the developed one. I actually know about Australian government scholarship. It is really challenging. I have never tried it yet.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
mark renaud
Tourist

Post by mark renaud »

Thanks all for your comments. I will look into the scholarships idea. If anyone has any idea where that funny article about why Bong shouldn't move to England can be found I would love to hear where I can get hold of it.

Perhaps someone who writes Khmer can enter it into a search engine and locate it.???

Thanks again to those who have given time to answer. I wonder what my wife would think about the suggestion of me marrying a Cambodian boy :-)
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

mark renaud wrote:Thanks all for your comments. I will look into the scholarships idea. If anyone has any idea where that funny article about why Bong shouldn't move to England can be found I would love to hear where I can get hold of it.

Perhaps someone who writes Khmer can enter it into a search engine and locate it.???

Thanks again to those who have given time to answer. I wonder what my wife would think about the suggestion of me marrying a Cambodian boy :-)
Last year there were four young Cambodians received scholarship to study their master degree in England via chevening program
http://www.chevening.org/cambodia/. I also applied for a scholarship to England too, but via another program, sadly i was rejected. :(

prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
To experience the winter in any cold countries is one of the thing i want to do in my life time. I want see snow with my eye and touch it with my hands. Many people said, it is completely cold. However, since you have never experienced it, you would never know.
I wish too. Maybe Sweden is a very nice country that's why I think France and English are the same. Hm...
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:
I wish too. Maybe Sweden is a very nice country that's why I think France and English are the same. Hm...
I think some countries in Europe are amazingly beautiful during winter and spring.

Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Oh Canada, OH Canada, we stand on guard for Theeeee!
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Canadians are pretty much the most badass people on earth. Respect.
Secret Squirrel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Secret Squirrel »

Very very low chance of being granted a visa and it costs you about 250USD each time to find out. They will be regarded as high risk of not returning home. Let's face it how many guys here have trouble getting a visa for their wives. It's not easy.
Better to save their cash and not bother.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic