Russian woman gets 28 years for cocaine smuggling

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 7832
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Karma: 588
Tokelau

Russian woman gets 28 years for cocaine smuggling

Post by Anchor Moy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:30 pm

Spoiler: She has a Nigerian boyfriend called "Joe".

Damn these girls are stupid. What did she think it was? 5kgs of aftershave ?

And 28 years in a Cambodian jail - wow, doesn't bear thinking about.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court sentenced a Russian tourist to 28 years yesterday for smuggling some five kilograms of liquefied cocaine into Cambodia from Brazil last year.

According to presiding judge Ly Sok Leng, defendant Elizaveta Maximova, 28, was charged with drug trafficking after being arrested with the cocaine at Phnom Penh International Airport in April 2014.

“The court decided to sentence her to 28 years and a fine: 50 million riel (about $12,500) to put in the national budget,” judge Sok Leng said yesterday.

Police official Lieutenant Colonel Chab Sameng said the 4.96 kilos of liquid cocaine were concealed in plastic-wrapped bottles.

Maximova declined to comment to reporters yesterday, but during her trial on March 22, she maintained her innocence, saying the cocaine belonged to her boyfriend – a Nigerian she identified as “Joe” – and that she was unaware it was in her luggage.

“I did not know that Joe’s things were liquid drugs, and were illegal things. If I have known it, I would not bring it with me or be involved with it,” she said.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/cocaine-bu ... s-28-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
User avatar
General Mackevili
GONK
Posts: 14979
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Karma: 854
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Russian woman gets 28 years for cocaine smuggling

Post by General Mackevili » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:03 am

Drug smuggling? White chick? Nigerian boyfriend?

I could have sworn I've read this before. Oh yeah, I have! About 2,438 times already! ! ! ! !

I believe she's innocent.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 7832
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Karma: 588
Tokelau

Re: Russian woman gets 28 years for cocaine smuggling

Post by Anchor Moy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:36 am

Joe is on a winner. The pathetic thing is that the woman seems to believe that it's some sort of defense if she says she doesn't know anything about it because that stuff is her boyfriend's.
From Monday, March 23: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/russian-tr ... llegations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I did not know Joe’s [package] was drugs or was illegal. If I had known, I would not have brought them with me or been involved,” she said, adding: “I would like to ask the court to release me.”
If your boyfriend is a Nigerian living in Brazil, do NOT take gifts for his friends in Phnom Penh. What more can you say?
She claimed the drugs were her boyfriend’s, a Nigerian man living in Brazil identified as “Joe”, who asked her to bring a package to his friend in Phnom Penh.
This is from a year ago - and I bet the guy was also called Joe.
Macoy Mavill brought the drugs into Cambodia from Brazil. She was arrested by Immigration Police after they scanned her luggage and found small packages of cocaine powder hidden inside 34 plastic tubes underneath her jewellery,” Nol said yesterday, adding that 2.5 kilograms of cocaine was confiscated.

Following her arrest, Mavill confessed to being promised $2,500 for smuggling the drugs from Brazil into Cambodia by an unidentified Nigerian man based in Brazil, Nol added.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... kilos-coke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ladies, believe me, Joe is not a good guy. :dm:
MekongMouse
Expatriate
Posts: 1264
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:17 pm
Karma: 1

Re: Russian woman gets 28 years for cocaine smuggling

Post by MekongMouse » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:48 am

Damn shame if that was destined for the local market. Cambodia needs more cola.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 7832
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Karma: 588
Tokelau

Re: Russian woman gets 28 years for cocaine smuggling

Post by Anchor Moy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:59 pm

MekongMouse wrote:Damn shame if that was destined for the local market. Cambodia needs more cola.
Nah, probably on transit for elsewhere - Thailand or Australia maybe. Cambodia is not where the money is.
User avatar
General Mackevili
GONK
Posts: 14979
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Karma: 854
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Russian woman gets 28 years for cocaine smuggling

Post by General Mackevili » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:34 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:Joe is on a winner. The pathetic thing is that the woman seems to believe that it's some sort of defense if she says she doesn't know anything about it because that stuff is her boyfriend's.
From Monday, March 23: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/russian-tr ... llegations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I did not know Joe’s [package] was drugs or was illegal. If I had known, I would not have brought them with me or been involved,” she said, adding: “I would like to ask the court to release me.”
If your boyfriend is a Nigerian living in Brazil, do NOT take gifts for his friends in Phnom Penh. What more can you say?
She claimed the drugs were her boyfriend’s, a Nigerian man living in Brazil identified as “Joe”, who asked her to bring a package to his friend in Phnom Penh.
This is from a year ago - and I bet the guy was also called Joe.
Macoy Mavill brought the drugs into Cambodia from Brazil. She was arrested by Immigration Police after they scanned her luggage and found small packages of cocaine powder hidden inside 34 plastic tubes underneath her jewellery,” Nol said yesterday, adding that 2.5 kilograms of cocaine was confiscated.

Following her arrest, Mavill confessed to being promised $2,500 for smuggling the drugs from Brazil into Cambodia by an unidentified Nigerian man based in Brazil, Nol added.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... kilos-coke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ladies, believe me, Joe is not a good guy. :dm:
LoL, I guess that's one of the thOusands of places I've read the same exact story.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
General Mackevili
GONK
Posts: 14979
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Karma: 854
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Russian woman gets 28 years for cocaine smuggling

Post by General Mackevili » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:36 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:
MekongMouse wrote:Damn shame if that was destined for the local market. Cambodia needs more cola.
Nah, probably on transit for elsewhere - Thailand or Australia maybe. Cambodia is not where the money is.
I would guess Cambodia might be it's final destination.

It's definitely around most of the time, and fetches a good price. Probably a lot easier to get it here rather than have it go through a few more countries after Cambodia.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 7832
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Karma: 588
Tokelau

Re: Russian woman gets 28 years for cocaine smuggling

Post by Anchor Moy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:05 pm

General Mackevili wrote:Drug smuggling? White chick? Nigerian boyfriend?

I could have sworn I've read this before. Oh yeah, I have! About 2,438 times already! ! ! ! !
I believe she's innocent. Image
I believe she is too, but I think the word you're looking for is "stoopid" ?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 7832
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Karma: 588
Tokelau

Re: Russian woman gets 28 years for cocaine smuggling

Post by Anchor Moy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Hey, this one's for you MM ! :plus1:

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/c ... lant-ppsez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coke to build $100M plant at PPSEZ
Sorry, got carried away.
They fooled me with their headline. Lol.
MekongMouse
Expatriate
Posts: 1264
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:17 pm
Karma: 1

Re: Russian woman gets 28 years for cocaine smuggling

Post by MekongMouse » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:23 am

Lol, finally the cola has arrived!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bubble T, Clemen, Felgerkarb, Google [Bot], hame, joelightcloud, King Keil, Kuroneko, ned kelly, Patcan, phil, PSD-Kiwi, Ricky Shaw, Username Taken and 550 guests