Opening bank account for non residents

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Gaudente
Expatriate

Opening bank account for non residents

Post by Gaudente »

Given that there is a 14% withholding tax on interest for non residents (opposed to a 6% only rate for residents) non residents should be able to open a bank account. I mean, if they were not , why bother with a punitive tax rate on their interest earnings ?
Yet a few years ago Acleda refused to open me a bank account (in spite of having just opened a brokerage account with their subsidiary Acleda Securities) without a proof of address in Cambodia.
Have things changed now ? Is it possible to open a bank account showing as proof of address the utilities bills of my condo in Thailand ?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Opening bank account for non residents

Post by frank lee bent »

just get a monthly rental receipt from your GH, show your E ordinary visa, or maybe hand them a copy.
all they want to do is verify your address is registered with the immigration cops and you have a visa.

i highly doubt if they have that withholding stuff in play- but IDK
clippy
Expatriate

Post by clippy »

^this is true in my experience also^
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

ABA didn't require proof of address in Cambodia when I opened my account with them (although I provided it anyway), just a local phone number was sufficient. Acleda and Canadia both required proof of address.
Gaudente
Expatriate

Post by Gaudente »

frank lee bent wrote:just get a monthly rental receipt from your GH
meaning to open a bank account I have to spend at least 1 month in Cambodia ? That's not exactly my idea of financial tourism .... if at least Sophie was still in business the hardship could be softened a bit, but unfortunately it isn't so I can't see how I could possibly endure the ordeal of such a long staying.
Again if there's a law taxing non resident deposits I don't understand why I can't open an account declaring my non resident status showing my abroad proof of address , but I guess T.I.C. (this is Cambodia) is even more amazing than T.I.T. (this is Thailand)
Gaudente
Expatriate

Post by Gaudente »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:ABA didn't require proof of address in Cambodia when I opened my account with them (although I provided it anyway), just a local phone number was sufficient.
did they require an ordinary visa ? 6 months or even 1 would be ok ?
I remember time ago getting a local mobile phone as a tourist was impossible , have things changed now ?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Gaudente wrote:have things changed now ?
Yep.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Gaudente wrote:did they require an ordinary visa ? 6 months or even 1 would be ok ?
I remember time ago getting a local mobile phone as a tourist was impossible , have things changed now ?
Yes, 6 or 12 month E (ordinary), A, B, C or K visa, required.

Mobile phones and Sim cards are easily available. Technically you are supposed to provide your passport and visa details to get a Sim, but most places won't even ask.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Opened a bank account in Canadia this week. No proof of address required. Just a visa with more than 6 months left on it...
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

TheGrinchSR wrote:Opened a bank account in Canadia this week. No proof of address required. Just a visa with more than 6 months left on it...

Yes, if you have a 6 or 12 month visa extension it seems to be ok to open an account now. But, as usual, there are no firm rules, and requirements vary from bank to bank - so Canadia in SR may have different requirements to Canadia PP. These "rules" are also constantly changing, so go and ask.
As far as I know, none of the banks will open an account for someone on a tourist visa, or with an E visa for less than 6 months. (Plz correct me if I'm wrong.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic