Russian Arrested in Sihanoukville for Expired Business Visa

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Russian Arrested in Sihanoukville for Expired Business V

Post by walkjivefly »

LaudJohn wrote:A van load of immigration police including a Colonel from PP accompanied by a Deputy Director of Vocational Training and Labour (the work permit people) are going around the barang run business checking visas and for work permits.

They came to my place the other day, gave me a $125 fine/fee for not having a work permit (with official receipt) and told me to send someone up to their office to get me one. A couple of friends were doing some welding work in my basement. They made them come up. One showed them his passport and found out that his visa had expired 40 days previously and that he did not have a work permit. He also paid the $125 fee, plus they organised renewal of his visa for a good rate, plus administration fee and 40 days of overstay fines at $5 per day. Another friend helping him, SHV resident, did not have his passport available as it was in PP for a licence renewal, it cost a $50 unofficial fee.

All in all they were very reasonable and friendly and easy to deal with and not extortionate
They actually gave you a receipt? Can we see a photo of this mythical object?

What was the "good rate" for a visa renewal?

Which bit of an unofficial $50 fee for not having his passport available for inspection is not extortion?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

LaudJohn wrote:A van load of immigration police including a Colonel from PP accompanied by a Deputy Director of Vocational Training and Labour (the work permit people) are going around the barang run business checking visas and for work permits.

They came to my place the other day, gave me a $125 fine/fee for not having a work permit (with official receipt) and told me to send someone up to their office to get me one. A couple of friends were doing some welding work in my basement. They made them come up. One showed them his passport and found out that his visa had expired 40 days previously and that he did not have a work permit. He also paid the $125 fee, plus they organised renewal of his visa for a good rate, plus administration fee and 40 days of overstay fines at $5 per day. Another friend helping him, SHV resident, did not have his passport available as it was in PP for a licence renewal, it cost a $50 unofficial fee.

All in all they were very reasonable and friendly and easy to deal with and not extortionate
Wow, so they are giving people a chance to pay and sort it out right there on the spot. Good news.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

walkjivefly wrote:

They actually gave you a receipt? Can we see a photo of this mythical object?

What was the "good rate" for a visa renewal?

Which bit of an unofficial $50 fee for not having his passport available for inspection is not extortion?
Aren't foreigners technically supposed to have their passports on them at all times? I know this is actually impossible to do (especially if you're a tourist and renting wheels while in the 'bodge), but if that is the law, then it seems more like a bribe than extortion. I could be mistaken.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

sailorman wrote: but this generation doesn't seem to hold it against us, but they have bigger things to worry about like their present government.

yes- mostly they do not even know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hard to believe i know.

i have been asking around.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic