How you choose a job?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
redhooligan
Expatriate
Greece

Re: How you choose a job?

Post by redhooligan »

How you choose a job?
Easily, pick the one with the most money and longest vacation! :bow:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

redhooligan wrote:
How you choose a job?
That is actually what i want, however i am still having a hard to decide between that job i like and the jobs related to my career. I know i am so much indecisive.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Earn money while young. Start investing/saving young. Interest %
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:Earn money while young. Start investing/saving young. Interest %
I have never saved up money.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Samouth wrote:
redhooligan wrote:
How you choose a job?
That is actually what i want, however i am still having a hard to decide between that job i like and the jobs related to my career. I know i am so much indecisive.
Choosing a career is one of life's most difficult decisions. Too bad we all have to make that decision at such a young age, before we really know what we like and don't like.

One major drawback of taking up a career in engineering, civil engineering/construction in particular, is the complete lack of women in the workplace. And the more you sacrifice to chase a bigger paycheck, the fewer women you will encounter. There are practically no women in the oil fields of the world and remote project locations that pay the higher salaries. Definitely not across the Middle East/North Africa, where I spent a good chunk of my career. It can be a very reliable and profitable career and often interesting work, but it's not always the most fun, in my experience. Often long workdays, too... and often stressful.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Choosing a career is one of life's most difficult decisions. Too bad we all have to make that decision at such a young age, before we really know what we like and don't like.
Why do u need to choose??

Live ur life, do the things you want to do, go where you want to go, be happy
you can always make $$

If i had "settled" on a career i would not have done 75% of the things i have done.

These are not just words, but what i tell my 21 year old daughter as well :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Soi Dog wrote:
Samouth wrote:
redhooligan wrote:
How you choose a job?

One major drawback of taking up a career in engineering, civil engineering/construction in particular, is the complete lack of women in the workplace. And the more you sacrifice to chase a bigger paycheck, the fewer women you will encounter. There are practically no women in the oil fields of the world and remote project locations that pay the higher salaries. Definitely not across the Middle East/North Africa, where I spent a good chunk of my career. It can be a very reliable and profitable career and often interesting work, but it's not always the most fun, in my experience. Often long workdays, too... and often stressful.
The reason that i was afraid to take any jobs related to Civil Engineering, because I am still studying, three more months to go until i completely finish school, plus, i don't have any working experiences related to construction. I will try it when i finish to see it i like it. I am really fine if there is no women around the workplace, as a Cambodian, when i am old enough i will get married and that's it. lolzz

Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

phuketrichard wrote:
Why do u need to choose??

Live ur life, do the things you want to do, go where you want to go, be happy
you can always make $$

If i had "settled" on a career i would not have done 75% of the things i have done.

These are not just words, but what i tell my 21 year old daughter as well :beer3:
I am so fortunate to not have pushy family. They are so supportive. i can do whatever i want, if i am happy. i actually also want to go and work in many different places too, but the problem is that i don't think i can always get job elsewhere outside Cambodia.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

with your english, why not?

plus u will NEVER know till you try.

Pick up some online skills,

Heres an idea; When i was working with rich thai's in the gem industry they all wanted to travel (they had plenty of $$) but they didn't because they spoke no english and were scared.

I am SURE there lots of Cambodians as well in this boat. Set up customized tours to far away lands for non english speaking Khmers
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

phuketrichard wrote:with your english, why not?

plus u will NEVER know till you try.

Pick up some online skills,

Heres an idea; When i was working with rich thai's in the gem industry they all wanted to travel (they had plenty of $$) but they didn't because they spoke no english and were scared.

I am SURE there lots of Cambodians as well in this boat. Set up customized tours to far away lands for non english speaking Khmers
i think i am not different from Thai. I am now 23 years old and i had never made any solo trip to abroad let's say just neighbour countries like Thailand, Vietnam and Lao.

I actually don't know how to do it. I don't study tourism.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic