Go big or go home

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Go big or go home

Post by Soi Dog »

...and when the next peasant revolution comes, you can be buried in yours.

Here is my favorite line:
“And there is also a rising of middle-class family who can afford [to buy the car]."
Start queuing up, Cambodian middle-class, before they are all sold out. :thumb:
Rolls-Royce opens showroom
Thu, 19 March 2015
Chan Muyhong

Rolls-Royce officially launched its showroom in Cambodia yesterday, with both government and the luxury-car maker forecasting a rosy sales outlook for the high-end vehicle.

In June, Rolls-Royce appointed HGB Group Co Ltd, the distributor for Mazda and Kia vehicles in Cambodia, to be the official dealership. The 540-square-metre showroom, located on Street 217, is housing Rolls-Royce’s Phantom, Wraith and Ghost models, with prices starting at about $650,000.

“I said last year that the situation in Cambodia has finally attracted the import of luxurious cars already due to the annual 7 per cent growth of the country economy,” said Cham Prasidh, minister of industry and handicraft, at the launch of Rolls-Royce showroom yesterday.

And there is also a rising of middle-class family who can afford [to buy the car]. They are wealthy from business or from booming land prices, which has increased the number of wealthier people in Cambodia,” the minister said.

Prasidh said that “not less than 20” Rolls Royce vehicles had been sold since June. The minister took aim at international media for suggesting that the luxury brand was unlikely to sell in Cambodia.

“There are luxurious brand like BMW, Jaguar, Porches in Cambodia, why can’t Rolls-Royce come into join this huge market?” he said.

“International media has been reporting that there will be no Cambodian who can afford to buy a Rolls-Royce, but with this sale figure, you can see,” he added.

Speaking to reporters yesterday, Temmy Wiradjaja, general manager of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Phnom Penh, said he expected the demand for Rolls-Royce to grow in Cambodia.

“As the minister mentioned, there have been some cars being delivered to this country. We are still confident in this market. It is an emerging market and we believe the number of sales will grow,” he said.

Paul Harris, regional director for Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Asia, would not speculate on the exact numbers the company was hoping to sell in Cambodia, but said regional growth indicated the future was bright.

“In my opinion, from the regional perspective, in Indochina, we will see more investment coming into the area,” he said. “The more they come, the more successful entrepreneurs we will see.”

Pily Wong, vice president of the Cambodia Automotive Industry Federation, said the sale of 20 Rolls-Royce vehicles in a developing country like Cambodia was “quite surprising”, but he agreed that there was still an elite market in Cambodia for luxury car models.

“Comparatively 20 units is not a lot compared to mass-market models, but we must remember, Rolls-Royce is a very niche brand only catering the ultra-rich,” he said.

“The ultra-luxury car market in Cambodia is definitely not big. I estimate the number of rich [people] who can afford to buy Rolls Royce to be around 2,000, so potential is there,” he said. “However, most important is to be able to convince those customers to buy.”

Rolls-Royce is the latest luxury vehicle brand to enter the Kingdom’s new car market, joining BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, Land Rover and Jaguar.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/rolls-royce-opens-showroom
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Go big or go home

Post by Sailorman »

Just the thing for the pot-holes, mud holes, dirt streets and the road to Siem Reap. Should have the Russians from Snookyville flocking to the dealership.

"let then eat cake."
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

A prize for anyone getting the first picture of one with RCAF plates. If you wanted to target regime connected graft you could always pop along to a PP Rolls Royce owners club gathering.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I saw a sharp new 2-tone Rolls on the sidewalk by the Riverside around 108 the other day.
Secret Squirrel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Secret Squirrel »

Yeah a roller is the choice of the Middle class where I come from. That or a Ford Fucus.
2000 potential customers is quite a lot. Would love to see a break down of where each of their millions came from.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic