A brilliant new strategy to increase tourism to Pattaya

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

A brilliant new strategy to increase tourism to Pattaya

Post by Soi Dog »

Pattaya Official To Kick Off Tourism Package
PATTAYA – March 25,2015

Mayor Itthipol revealed that Pattaya officials had met with the TAT, Eastern hotel association, TSEP, and PBTA to launch a prototype project called the Pattaya Tourism Package in order to promote a good image of Pattaya to stimulate the changing tourism industry. They aimed to promote 4 major points 1. More Nature 2. More Colours 3. More Business 4. More Life.
More nature? In Pattaya? Have these geniuses ever been there?

This is about the tenth rebranding attempt of Pattaya as a family tourist destination that I can recall over the years. My favorite was the "Xtreme Pattaya" advertising push around the year 2000 or so. The government geniuses decided to try to capture the growing global extreme sports market. They re-paved the beachfront to include ramps and such for skateboarders and held downhill mountain bike races and wind surfing competitions. They didn't know or care that the seawater in Pattaya Bay is quite nasty and toxic and polluted because all the city sewers and toilets flow directly into the bay untreated. They also didn't seem to understand that the punk American skateboarders are broke teenages that might not really be the lucrative demographic you want dominating the beachfront and running off all the other tourists who want a quiet, peaceful day at the beach without having to dodge rude shitheads on dangerous skateboards. The annual downhill mountain bike race did last for several years, usually with 2 or 3 contestants.

I'm sure this new tourism campaign will reel them in, though. "More colors" should do it. :roll: And "more life" is a better slogan than "less life" by a country mile. :thumb:

I think a better slogan would be "'The ruling junta orders you to comply with their new directive and travel to Thailand immediately or face severe penalties!"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: A brilliant new strategy to increase tourism to Pattaya

Post by phuketrichard »

#5 more Bars
#6 More Girls
#7 more FUN
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

They have missed it. Make gambling legal for tourist and tax the hell out of it. Make pot legal and tax the hell out of it. Make prostitution legal (in Pattaya) and tax the hell out of it.(legal brothels and licenses to compete with walking street and all the massage emporiums.) Pave over one of the golf courses for an F1 track where big music festivals can also be held. Pave over another golf course next to town and put in an airport big enough for the smaller airbus's and boeing jets.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Steady on Sailorman, less of the paving over golf course idea. :D Golf's one of the few positive selling points of Pattaya that I actually believe is of a high standard and still better than anywhere else in the region and has been a real success for the local area.

More nature ? That's come but unfortunately in the form of a major and increasing visible rat problem on the beach side of beach road at night now. I'm convinced the mayor, his family and their mates sit round the table counting their cash and have a laugh at the gullible outside world when they think up these campaigns.

I should post his interview with the Bangkok Post, it reads like one massive piss take. Pot may not be legal but I reckon the Mayor's consuming large quantities.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic