Two more for idiom fans

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Two more for idiom fans

Post by taabarang »

Rook leik dak kmian. Usually, if not always pronounced roleik dak kmian just as mook is usually pronounced mo if not mau. It is used to indicate an extreme degree which cannot be measured, i.e.
look for a number but can't assign one(it's too high) and is always used with an adjective

yap roleik dak kmian-immeasurably(impossibly)difficult (in behaviour)
saa'at roleik dak kmian beautiful beyond all comparison

kraeut kratom- arrogant and yes another fighting word in my neck of the woods if you call someone that.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Two more for idiom fans

Post by Samouth »

These two idioms are great actually with very clear explanation. Keep up the learning. We will try to correct you when you make mistake.

My example for you.
I.e lok taabarang chhalat Rook leik dak kmian.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Chhmar nyum kjuel rook leik dak kmian!
By the way ,do you know " m'nus mean dai mean jerng" ?
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Hi, sorry it took me so long to get back. Yes, I do, it means, they are capable of work. Oh, sorry about the lazy cat, puntai bae meun min kchil,, meun min chmar.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

taabarang wrote:Hi, sorry it took me so long to get back. Yes, I do, it means, they are capable of work. Oh, sorry about the lazy cat, puntai bae meun min kchil,, meun min chmar.
No, It refers to people who like to steal something from others.
Ex: you have a clearner. You often lost your money and sometimes lost your watch. There is only her who can enter your room. Neang chhbas jea m'nus mean dai mean jerng hoy= she must be a kind of person who like to steal.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic