Cambodia: Photographer documents rapid change

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Cambodia: Photographer documents rapid change

Post by Milord »

Cambodia based photographer Nicolas Axelrod joined forces with award winning journalist Denise Hruby and creative consultant Fani Llaurado hoping to give an unique insight into the contradictions of modern-day Cambodia. Since moving to the capital Phnom Penh seven years ago, Axelrod has witnessed and documented a period of rapid change in the country that only 40 years ago was devastated by wars.

The team have collaborated to publish what could be the first photo book concerning the country's sweeping development, observing key aspects of the change such as family life, youth and politics, land rights and development, modernisation and the emerging middle class.

Transitioning Cambodia is currently being pre-sold through a crowd-funding campaign. In only ten days they have raised more than half of their initial goal, which will be mostly spent on printing 500 copies of the book. As well as the book and numbered prints, other perks that can be purchased include a silk scarf made in Cambodia, tours of Phnomm Penh and photography workshops. The campaign ends on Thursday February 26, 2015, but the publication will go ahead regardless. By Livia Bonadio (@liviabonadio)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picture ... me=3201094

15 pics at link above
lozzmozz
Tourist
France

Re: Cambodia: Photographer documents rapid change

Post by lozzmozz »

Good photographs - really. Does it document a rapid change ? Wouldn't say so. Yes, there is a rapid change in Cambodia - that's a natural thing, but these pictures actually just document stupidity and decadency.
In war, events of importance are the result of trivial causes.
renton555
Tourist

Post by renton555 »

I liked the photos. I was expecting some sort of time lapse of phnom penh going from a Tombstone type frontier village to the city it is now, though. It seemed to be more of a retrospective of important shit that happened.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Nice photographs, It might have been more revealing if the photographs had been taken in affected areas comparing then and now given one of the main changes driving other social changes is land/property. Then again he's a relative newbie at 7 years, and I've noticed in the capital at least a slow and creeping change over a longer period. Taking a picture of an office block and a slum, or rich and poor at the same point in time doesn't do it for me, it's the same everywhere.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

I guess the pics are a teaser for the book.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

These pictures touch my heart!
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
picooie
Expatriate

Post by picooie »

Before and after pictures represent and show change. These pictures just show present and the present that they show seem to be mainly what happens after land grabs.

picooie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic