What does it cost to purchase a tuk tuk?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: What does it cost to purchase a tuk tuk?

Post by AE86 »

Actually, a Siem Reap style Tuk Tuk (carriage itself) is over $1,100 and last I checked, there was a 3 month wait to get one. $650 is rock bottom shite quality and even then I doubt that's a price you can get nowadays...and $900-$1000 depending on options (like canvasing and stainless steel parts) for Phnom Penh "well known" built version.

I have a Tuk Tuk sitting around somewhere, it was $875 new and that was 2 years ago. Phnom Penh "standard" built, no options or wood engraving, etc. 0 kms, I never actually got around to donating a bike to tow it, lol.

Also keep in mind that a bike is not suited to pulling the Tuk Tuk without a "cooling system", regeared final drive, heavy duty rear tire, and rear suspension as well to name a few things "required".
-insert signature here
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the chinese rigid frame, driveshaft, water cooled 150 cc's are around $2.5k with a custom fit out.

not sure if the engine is really big enough?
h0pp3
Tourist

Post by h0pp3 »

Wow, 90%. Low season must be a big player here? Would people just buy a bar before high season and sell it again after high season? Since you write "go broke" some of them must be caught by surprised by the lacking turnover? Could you tell me some of the more comprehensive reasons behind the high percentage?

Anyway, the considerable higher dependency of the seasons is for sure why I would be reluctant to start a bar in Snookey.

@ AE86

Thx for the inputs. I'm starting to have a solid argument in my discussion with my friend.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

frank lee bent wrote:the chinese rigid frame, driveshaft, water cooled 150 cc's are around $2.5k with a custom fit out.

They need the nuts revved off of them to go, but if you can get passed a standstill, they're not bad for speed given that they're 5 speed short range gearboxes. No torque though, so essentially useless for heavy loads.

Stupid trucks though, they may be water cooled, but they don't feature a cooling fan so they're just as useless for Cambodia stop/go city driving as most bikes here are in terms of motor temps.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

frank lee bent wrote:the chinese rigid frame, driveshaft, water cooled 150 cc's are around $2.5k with a custom fit out.

If you're referring to the big truck style our eight-seater cost $2780 with 250cc including plates and driver card. Stacks of torque and far too much suspension (2 ton capacity) but the gearing is preset for 150cc and cannot be adjusted - so huge pulling power but at low speeds. Maximum speed on good road is 50km/hr.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote:

Stupid trucks though, they may be water cooled, but they don't feature a cooling fan
The newer ones do, it's manually switched on while you're sitting in traffic, but as it's huge it takes a power hit and you need to compensate for it in your driving.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic