Cost of living crisis

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by Tootsfriend »

I think the price of milk is being controlled by these guys.
Spoiler:
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

pissontheroof wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:55 am
Bluenose wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:15 pm

That might be due to local factors such as the competition pricing.
I’ve checked a couple more stores , so the price has gone up on milk at all of them this week ..
🤞🤞maybe Mr.B will touch on the reason why during his weekly news coming tonight or tomorrow
I really want to know - a few guys on the grapevine ( myface ) are asking where to go for deals on beans etc
The price of everything in the air conditioned marts is high , and going higher -
instead of an american chocolate bar , i went for a donut 🍩 .
For big brands, assuming they come into Cambodia officially, most of the bigger retail companies here will be buying each brand from the same official distributor, so if the distributor puts up the price then all the supermarkets do the same at the same time. That's also why things tend to run out in different shops at the same time and suddenly reappear at the same time.
I have no problem if people want to buy imported products and eat a similar diet as when in their home country, but that's always going to be more expensive, especially for anything that requires temperature-controlled transport (fresh milk, chocolate etc).
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

One outlier to this inflationary trend is housing: I check the housing and rental markets a lot, and while Siem Reap has grown more expensive, PP seems to have grown a lot cheaper due to an abundance of homes.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

pissontheroof wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:56 pm I was looking for this thread with the milk shortage 👉🏽general-chatter/milk-shortage-t55943.html
But this thread is more relevant , the price of milk here shot up in the past week from $4.10 to $4.35 at the major supermarket ..
for the 2000ml of dutch mill “selected “ milk we always buy
I wondered if it was because of the heat wave and they were paying for all of the air conditioning they do there
nothing over there is a bargain But +.25¢ for milk ? Whoa 😳
so I checked the farmer market and it felt about the same @ 17,500 local money .
Anybody else noticed an increase in milk ?
Kirisu Full Cream Milk is still 14,500 per 2 liters at my downstairs corner store, and tastes far better than anything I've had from Dutch Mill tbh (esp. their low-fat milk, which is vomit-inducing)
RightSaidFred
Expatriate
Cuba

Post by RightSaidFred »

I buy a case of milk from Lee's Food Service every other month. Gud Full Cream Milk is $1.40 per liter pack.
JF
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JF »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:59 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:56 pm I was looking for this thread with the milk shortage 👉🏽general-chatter/milk-shortage-t55943.html
But this thread is more relevant , the price of milk here shot up in the past week from $4.10 to $4.35 at the major supermarket ..
for the 2000ml of dutch mill “selected “ milk we always buy
I wondered if it was because of the heat wave and they were paying for all of the air conditioning they do there
nothing over there is a bargain But +.25¢ for milk ? Whoa 😳
so I checked the farmer market and it felt about the same @ 17,500 local money .
Anybody else noticed an increase in milk ?
Kirisu Full Cream Milk is still 14,500 per 2 liters at my downstairs corner store, and tastes far better than anything I've had from Dutch Mill tbh (esp. their low-fat milk, which is vomit-inducing)
Thank you, I learned this lesson the hard way, lol
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

🤓
i myself am skeptical of cambodian standards for restaurants and things where food and drinks are concerned .
( no health department / inspections / cerificate stamps of approvals , etc . here )
if i see a kitchen here beforehand ( at rest stops or funky old buildings or mobile carts for everythings
... i lose my appetite ) re: dutchmill
i have not tried their low-fat milk, ( which is vomit-inducing 😬😱😱 - really ?.? ... )
but i couldnt imagine any milk inducing vomit unless it was warm / sour .
i have tried Kirimisu once and drank it down but https://www.kirisufarm.com/ i should try again .
it tasted much different from dutchmill .. maybe the cows eat cambodian food , leftovers ?
plus i just cant imagine a dairy in phnompenh . Pp just gives me the heebiejeebies
i wouldnt even be dealing with milk issues now if i did not have a young dependant
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Are you guys talking about fresh milk or UHT?

Dairy farms here keep the cattle in huge barns and feed them on hay and dried food. No grazing.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:57 am Are you guys talking about fresh milk or UHT?

Dairy farms here keep the cattle in huge barns and feed them on hay and dried food. No grazing.
Milk in Cambodia
topic14153-20.html
im talking about the milk that expires within a week or so ; not the other
and like "free range " chickens / eggs or not i can't taste the diffence .
i would rather not know that the cows dont graze but as long as its good pure milk ,
tastes ok , and is as nutritious as milk can be it wouldnt bother me .
i will think twice tho about it and not look into whether the thai cows get to go outside
and walk around and make cowpies and mushrooms
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Bluenose wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:32 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:55 am

I’ve checked a couple more stores , so the price has gone up on milk at all of them this week ..
For big brands, assuming they come into Cambodia officially, most of the bigger retail companies here will be buying each brand from the same official distributor, so if the distributor puts up the price then all the supermarkets do the same at the same time. That's also why things tend to run out in different shops at the same time and suddenly reappear at the same time.
I have no problem if people want to buy imported products and eat a similar diet as when in their home country, but that's always going to be more expensive, especially for anything that requires temperature-controlled transport (fresh milk, chocolate etc).
topic14153-20.html
i give up , maybe the exact same milk comes from 2 different distributers
the milk i usually buy costs .25 ¢ more since last week
but the 5 liter bottle stayed the same $9.50 so 4 liters 4.35 x 2 ...
so it was always a better deal anyway -
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic