PM seeks ban on water gun games during KNY after foreign tourist injured

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: PM seeks ban on water gun games during KNY after foreign tourist injured

Post by xandreu »

I just got home after going down to Wat Phnom again for the second time during the holiday, seeing as though tonight is the last night, and it was just as incredible as it was on Sunday when I went. Probably even more so. Difficult to tell if there were more people or not, there seemed to be an uncountable number of people on both nights I went.

I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did on Sunday - been there done that kinda thing - but again, very surprised at how enjoyable the whole event was. If there's one thing Khmers are very, very good at, and that's letting their hair down and throwing a good old party. Atmosphere was just as excellent, if not better. Just thousands and thousands of people out to have a really good time. Smiling, laughing, dancing, singing, modern pop music as well as some traditional Khmer, and for me as Brit, most importantly, not even the tiniest whiff of aggro anywhere whatsoever, which is a welcome change to how these types of events tend to play out in the UK, London especially.

In the UK, the closest you could compare it to would be the Notting Hill Carnival, I think it's held on the last weekend in August, and I believe it's either the biggest, or one of the biggest street parties in Europe, but it is well known for crime - muggings, drug taking / dealing, stabbings, fights, drunken, loutish behaviour, you name it. I mean, it's safe for the overwhelming majority of people, many people take their families, but there is that ever-present undercurrent of crime and anti-social behaviour that goes along with it.

However, none of that whatsoever in Wat Phnom, or, I would safely assume, any of the major KNY parties anywhere in Cambodia. I'm sure the odd crime does take place from to time, but the hugely positive atmosphere means you don't give it a second thought, unlike it always being in the back of your mind at the Notting Hill Carnival.

I have mixed feelings over the banning of water guns and talcum powder. Firstly, I think we all know it would be impossible to implement. These have become such an engrained part of the event, I think people would largely simply ignore the law. Remember that time when they tried to make it law that men couldn't go shirtless outside in public? How's that one going? I know that water squirting and powder throwing can, and does, occasionally lead to some pretty unpleasant unintended consequences, but sometimes, y'know... shit happens.

This is the first KNY I've spent in Phnom Penh, (I usually go to Kampot or Siem Reap) and I was expecting the most boring week ever, as I don't usually go to the water throwing parties, but it's turned out to be the best KNY I've had since moving here, and am very much looking forward to the next one.

Definitely one of those times when you take a step back and remind yourself why you love living here so much. For me, at least.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Here in Siem Reap, absolutely no one is abiding by the បាញ់ទឹក ban, and if anything cops were even participating in the festivities putting baby powder on people's faces down near the riverfront (the road closest to the Old Bridge). Everyone is in high spirits, a strong feeling of camraderie and friendship, and lots n' lots of booze (Day 4 almost feels stronger than Day 1 or 2 in that sense); Weather was fucking beautiful today as well.

Suo Sdey Jol Jnam Tmey!
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

xandreu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:55 pm .

I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did on Sunday - been there done that kinda thing - but again, very surprised at how enjoyable the whole event was. If there's one thing Khmers are very, very good at, and that's letting their hair down and throwing a good old party. Atmosphere was just as excellent, if not better. Just thousands and thousands of people out to have a really good time. Smiling, laughing, dancing, singing, modern pop music as well as some traditional Khmer, and for me as Brit, most importantly, not even the tiniest whiff of aggro anywhere whatsoever, which is a welcome change to how these types of events tend to play out in the UK, London especially.

In the UK, the closest you could compare it to would be the Notting Hill Carnival, I think it's held on the last weekend in August, and I believe it's either the biggest, or one of the biggest street parties in Europe, but it is well known for crime - muggings, drug taking / dealing, stabbings, fights, drunken, loutish behaviour, you name it. I mean, it's safe for the overwhelming majority of people, many people take their families, but there is that ever-present undercurrent of crime and anti-social behaviour that goes along with it.

This is the real difference between Cambodian and Western holidays, in my opinion: People here try to have fun despite their work, and Westerners try to work despite all the (unwelcome, enforced) "fun": I once had an office party in the Western United States which I attended during LGBT month or w/e and it was the most drab, boring event possible if only because it felt so forced, as if being seen having fun was more important than actually enjoying yourself (and I heard Christmas parties are no better)...Thanks but I'll take Khmer style sabai anyday.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I think it might be safe to go out after dark today...
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Someone forgot to tell the fire truck guys about the water gun ban... :lol:
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501473761/ ... hnom-penh/
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

One of the best parts about Songkran in Thailand is reading the tales of woe of all those farang moaners who hate every minute of it. Yet fail to book a short trip to Vietnam, or wherever, year after year. :stir:

Reading some of the comments on here by their barang equivalents in Cambodia has been amusing in just the same way. :popcorn:

Now that it's over, we can look forward to the next installment for almost an entire year. Cheers! :beer3:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’m disappointed that work keeps me away, once again.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Alex wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:06 pm One of the best parts about Songkran in Thailand is reading the tales of woe of all those farang moaners who hate every minute of it. Yet fail to book a short trip to Vietnam, or wherever, year after year. :stir:

Reading some of the comments on here by their barang equivalents in Cambodia has been amusing in just the same way. :popcorn:

Now that it's over, we can look forward to the next installment for almost an entire year. Cheers! :beer3:
Agreed, except I didn’t notice anyone on this forum who fell into that category. I did see some Thai style comments from people who say if you express anything other wild enthusiasm then you must be an incurable curmudgeon.

Btw, speaking with the Khmer staff working in and around my building, many of them didn’t like it one bit, especially the compulsory nature of the splashing and powdering whilst riding on their bikes.

It's allright for us - if we don't fancy the water it's simple to just stay home for three days, but they have to work for a living.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Agreed. Not every young Khmer thinks Songkran is the coolest thing ever.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic