Travelling with 2 passports ( dutch-khmer)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
diesel
Expatriate

Travelling with 2 passports ( dutch-khmer)

Post by diesel »

We are planning to return cambodia in july. My wife has a dutch and khmer passport.

On thevreturn flight we want to visit sjanghai with a transit visa.

How does things work out on the immigration with 2 passports.

For example, she fly Netherlands to bkk - PP on her khmer passport. When she leave Cambodia she get exit stamps and fly to Bangkok. In Thailand and china she can show her dutch passport ?? Or this is impossible because she didnt het her dutch passport stamped??

So than she must fly to cambodia on her dutch passport and need a VISA??

Otherwise she cant get a china transit visa for sjanghai with her khmer passport
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Travelling with 2 passports ( dutch-khmer)

Post by Kammekor »

diesel wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:42 pm We are planning to return cambodia in july. My wife has a dutch and khmer passport.

For example, she fly Netherlands to bkk - PP on her khmer passport. When she leave Cambodia she get exit stamps and fly to Bangkok. In Thailand and china she can show her dutch passport ?? Or this is impossible because she didnt het her dutch passport stamped??

Otherwise she cant get a china transit visa for sjanghai with her khmer passport
She can leave Cambodia using her Cambodian passport and apply for the stay in China using her Dutch passport. If they ask, she can show her Cambodian passport but I guess they won't bother. Travelling on two passports when having dual nationality is legal.
But, AFAIK, Cambodian passport holders are also eligible to the 'transit visa scheme', so I think you overthink it too much.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Keep cool. Having 2 passports mostly nobody care, the others are well trained on this. Just use the passport you have booked the flights when check in, then you have no trouble. If there are visa dependencies, just show them the other passport. Problem solved.
For immigration: nobody checks your passport for an exit stamp of the former country
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:11 pm
diesel wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:42 pm We are planning to return cambodia in july. My wife has a dutch and khmer passport.

She can leave Cambodia using her Cambodian passport and apply for the stay in China using her Dutch passport. If they ask, she can show her Cambodian passport but I guess they won't bother. Travelling on two passports when having dual nationality is legal.
But, AFAIK, Cambodian passport holders are also eligible to the 'transit visa scheme', so I think you overthink it too much.
Thanks. But only six asian countrys can get a 144 hour visa ' "Six countries in Asia: South Korea, Japan, SingaporeBrunei, the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar".
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

ressl wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:20 pm For immigration: nobody checks your passport for an exit stamp of the former country
Oh yes they do commonly
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

The transit-visa in Shanghai is very simpel to get, just go to the right counters in immigration, they will ask you your next flight going out of the country (i did it in 2019) I did the same in Xiamen 6 weeks ago. But since 15 march they changed the countries for visa-free getting in to China, Belgium is now included, i would think Holland also, what makes it even easier 8!!
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

kgbagent wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:26 pm
ressl wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:20 pm For immigration: nobody checks your passport for an exit stamp of the former country
Oh yes they do commonly
I am traveling since 10 years with 2 passports. Heavy use, all already renewed twice in that time. Yes, true, only Asia area (but literally all of Asia, except both Koreas, Syria, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Mongolia, Japan and the Philippines). Nevertheless the ONLY time I was asked for an exit stamp was the land border to China, coming from Laos. So yes, they do look very commonly for it...
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

ressl wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:30 pm
Oh yes they do commonly
I am traveling since 10 years with 2 passports. Heavy use, all already renewed twice in that time. Yes, true, only Asia area (but literally all of Asia, except both Koreas, Syria, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Mongolia, Japan and the Philippines). Nevertheless the ONLY time I was asked for an exit stamp was the land border to China, coming from Laos. So yes, they do look very commonly for it...
They dont need to ask - they thumb thru your passport looking for it
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kgbagent wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:54 pm
ressl wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:30 pm
Oh yes they do commonly
They dont need to ask - they thumb thru your passport looking for it
If you travel on two they have to ask.
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

So she can travel with her Dutch passport The netherlands to Thailand, on her Khmer passport to Cambodia, leave Cambodia with her Dutch passport to Thailand and fly to China and finale back to the Netherlands with her dutch passport.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic