Problem, computer not connecting to internet

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Problem, computer not connecting to internet

Post by Kammekor »

mikeukt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:37 pm Interesting, if somewhat over my head. So, my understanding: disconnect my computer from the Ezecon connection; try using my phone as a hotspot and see if the problem goes away or not. And yes, it is Windows. Can't do anything now as my tech advisor, teenage daughter, isn't here.

Maybe I should change my username to ITdinosaur.

Genuine thanks for the advice guys.
How old is the desktop you're talking about? Trying to connect a WIN XP machine through your phone's hotspot using USB might be challenging with a big C.

How is the desktop connected to EZcom? By some ethernet cable, or is there a 'wifi extension card' or even an onboard wifi chip?
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Power off the Router (unplug from power outlet). Wait a few minutes then power back on (plug back in) and wait for the service to establish.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:05 pm
darkhat wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:34 pm Try removing the battery(if removable) unplug and press power button for 10 seconds, then reverse engineer the process.
Taking out the Ram cards and sticking them back in after blowing on them and wiping them with your shirt can often do wonders too. 8-)
Like Nintendo game cartidges
Art
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Art »

Have a friend with a laptop come over and try to connect to your service.
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

I had that problem a couple of weeks ago. I tried everything. Then I disabled the ad blocker, and was able to connect. I turned the blocker back on after a couple of days, and everything still works.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

mikeukt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:05 pm Situation is, at home Ezecon internet, various devices use this successfully. Now my desktop just started this, it still shows the ethernet/wifi symbols intermitantly, but then cuts out to show no connection. Even when the symbols show, I try to open any site, "Can't connect, try...."comes up.

Problem is obviously the computer. Any of you hotshots any idea as to cause? And anything I can do myself other than take it to PTC?
While the old stand-bys of rebooting the router (waiting 1 minute so the power drains completely from the capacitors) and rebooting the PC etc should be your first port of call there is one thing that you mention in your OP and thats the fact this issue is "intermittent".

Software will either work, or not work if the settings are wrong. But if its an intermittent issue then the problem is more likely to be mechanical. Like a dodgy cable that you have to jiggle and place in a certain position for it to work.

I say, likely to be mechanical as when people who are not technically literate with computers and their ilk try to describe a problem their descriptions of the problem can be misleading when you try to diagnose the fault while not actually being at the machine.

Now, unfortunately, since most desktops these days have the network interface card built into the motherboard if there is a mechanical issue with it then it might need a new NIC. Your PC should have at least 1 spare PCI slot for it and you can disable the onboard NIC in the BIOS.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

1. Hit it repeatedly with a large hammer;
2. Order a new PC.
3. Go to the pub and get drunk;
4. Get an Indian take-away.
5. Get daughter to set up the new PC tomorrow.

Problem solved.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

In the last few days tried many things, now very sure it's the computer not any cable connection or suchlike.
IraHayes wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:10 am Now, unfortunately, since most desktops these days have the network interface card built into the motherboard if there is a mechanical issue with it then it might need a new NIC. Your PC should have at least 1 spare PCI slot for it and you can disable the onboard NIC in the BIOS.
Question, my device is a just over 2 year old Dell Vostro 388. Is it likely that PTC could have a fit a new NIC if that is the problem?

I'm resigned to having to take it in to be fixed, but I'd like as much background as possible.

Thanks for the effort.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

As suggested - turn off wifi on your mobile that has data enabled. Go to settings on the phone and enable hotspot - note the password needed.

On pc, this only works if it has wifi, search for wifi networks and your phone will show up - connect and put password - open a browser and go to a website.

No wifi a little more difficult as your ethernet cable goes into the router. So, in Windows go to settings/network and Internet/Advance network settings

First look for the Ethernet that says network - disable the network - wait a couple of minutes then enable it again - open a browser and see if all OK

Still a problem? Go back to the settings and do a network reset - reset to factory defaults. Power down the PC, not restart, then power up and see if it is resolved.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

mikeukt wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:56 pm In the last few days tried many things, now very sure it's the computer not any cable connection or suchlike.
IraHayes wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:10 am Now, unfortunately, since most desktops these days have the network interface card built into the motherboard if there is a mechanical issue with it then it might need a new NIC. Your PC should have at least 1 spare PCI slot for it and you can disable the onboard NIC in the BIOS.
Question, my device is a just over 2 year old Dell Vostro 388. Is it likely that PTC could have a fit a new NIC if that is the problem?

I'm resigned to having to take it in to be fixed, but I'd like as much background as possible.

Thanks for the effort.
If this is the correct model https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en ... lang=en-us
See link for image of the rear view.
Then it would appear that there are spare PCI slots that a NIC could sit in.
Working on base units is much easier than a laptop and you could just take the cover off and check that the slot covers on the rear actually line up to spare PCI slots on the motherboard.
Fitting the new NIC is literally just taking out of its packaging and pushing it into the slot. Go to the BIOS screen when you turn the PC back on and disable the onboard adapter and the OS should configure the new NIC as it boots.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic