Phnom Penh - need a decent place to live for a couple of years

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
traveller001
Tourist

Re: Phnom Penh - need a decent place to live for a couple of years

Post by traveller001 »

stevenjb wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:18 am What have you heard about the Tax system in Thailand that has you worried?
I'm not worried, I'm just avoiding long term liabilities.

They removed the part where you can bring into Thailand any kind of foreign offshore earnings from the previous year without paying tax on it.

It can be done this year for 2023 earnings but they made it very clear that the cut off date was Jan 1, 2024 and that's it, the game's up!
Art
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Art »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:26 pm Just asking, does it have to be PP?
if you enjoy Hua Hin, u might find kampot a decent place to live
On the river, lots of good eating, biking, grocery stores, fresh air, inexpensive ( finding a 2 bedroom house for under $400 would be easy) which would be impossible in PP.
Only 2 1/2 hours to PP> 30 minutes to Kep beach
might be worth a look
,) ;-)
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

traveller001 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:52 am
stevenjb wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:18 am What have you heard about the Tax system in Thailand that has you worried?
I'm not worried, I'm just avoiding long term liabilities.

They removed the part where you can bring into Thailand any kind of foreign offshore earnings from the previous year without paying tax on it.

It can be done this year for 2023 earnings but they made it very clear that the cut off date was Jan 1, 2024 and that's it, the game's up!
Is your foreign source income eligible for any foreign tax credit or treaty benefit?
traveller001
Tourist

Post by traveller001 »

Roryborealis wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:41 am Is your foreign source income eligible for any foreign tax credit or treaty benefit?
No, it's just a straight up capital gain from a sale of assets I've had for a long time, I'm not selling them all (well I will to reset the 'cost basis') but it's enough that I could live on the amount of tax they will want for multiple years - so I choose to go to Phnom Penh at least at first, I will consider some of the other options.

After 10 years in Hua Hin it might do me some good to get out and about in a larger city again before returning to sleepyville :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic