It's going to be hot this afternoon in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: It's going to be hot this afternoon in Phnom Penh

Post by pissontheroof »

Are generators able to power all the air conditioners for a big apartments ?
How are you charged for power when the power goes off and the generator kicks in ?
Before I never thought about it because I was in a hotel that electricity was paid by them
Power cuts are fewer nowadays but i turn off the air conditioning when the generator is kicked in
Because it’s usually raining and not so hot anyway .
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

My old condo in Toul Kork used to have a generator; there was a fixed amount per year attributed to it along with some other various "maintenance" items, I think $120 from memory, so $10 a month - nothing beyond that. Luckily I've lived in Toul Kork since I moved here in 2007, power cuts are very few & far between even in the old days.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

pissontheroof wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:31 am Are generators able to power all the air conditioners for a big apartments ?
Yes, they have huge shipping container sized generators.
How are you charged for power when the power goes off and the generator kicks in ?
Service charges should cover it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Move to serviced apartment, they have generators. Cant imagine to live without air con in hot season.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Temperature to soar before Khmer New Year

The weather is expected to soar as Khmer New Year approaches, with the government urging the public to avoid venturing outdoors in the hot conditions and take other precautions with the onset of high temperatures.

The Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology said yesterday that a low pressure crossing the Gulf of Thailand, Cambodia, the Central Mekong Basin and the South China Sea will make the thermometer soar into the high 30s.

[...]

Chan Youttha, Secretary of State and Spokesman of the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology, said that the increasingly hotter weather will continue until the middle of May.

Although most areas in Cambodia are experiencing hotter weather, a few places are receiving unseasonal rain and cooler conditions, he said.

During the Khmer New Year, the hot weather could increase to over 40C across the country, and neighbouring Vietnam, Laos and Thailand will also feel the heat.

Youttha added that by mid-May, the weather may cool down a bit and by the third week of July the wet season will be underway.

He advised that people should drink plenty of water, stay in the shade, and wear a hat or use an umbrella when venturing outdoors.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501467436/ ... -new-year/
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Oh, spiffing...
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:15 am My old condo in Toul Kork used to have a generator; there was a fixed amount per year attributed to it along with some other various "maintenance" items, I think $120 from memory, so $10 a month - nothing beyond that. Luckily I've lived in Toul Kork since I moved here in 2007, power cuts are very few & far between even in the old days.
It's gone off in TK today, fortunately the office building has a generator
JF
Tourist
United States of America

Post by JF »

Lucky I haven't experienced much power outage. The last power outage was a big one several blocks wide Dec 2023.

Good thing I live in newer condos that built up in PP. Fully serviced apartments can be a godsend in times like this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic