Expat Youtubers

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Re: Expat Youtubers

Post by Roryborealis »

Gazzy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:07 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:18 pm I quite like watching YouTubers even if they are just wandering around Phnom Penh saying nothing. Of course I could and do the same in real life but it's more relaxing to just watch on a screen and you get to see things you might not always notice.

Decent video of Ourressy market. I go there regularly to buy fruit. Strangely, what the video doesn't show is how clogged up the market gets coz people drive through it in their bloody cars. Really pisses me off. Use a moto.
Yeah, between my shopping list and my head on a swivel for traffic etc., I miss a lot of what these vloggers can catch on film.
Some of the videos have soundtracks, and some don't (so you can make your own if you like).
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:42 am This guy - Mystery Cambodia -has some interesting content.
I read somewhere he passed away though, which explains why the videos stopped.
He is the SS Waffen t-shirt bloke (thread about him either here or TOF), covered in tattoos of SS and Nazi insignia, was running couch surfing or something out of his apartment but only accepted young female backpackers, right creep and racist as fuck...also got caught out lying about being a Vietnam War Veteran, amongst other things...and says "Nom Pen". Good riddance if true.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:42 am
Random Dude wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:42 am This guy - Mystery Cambodia -has some interesting content.
I read somewhere he passed away though, which explains why the videos stopped.
He is the SS Waffen t-shirt bloke (thread about him either here or TOF), covered in tattoos of SS and Nazi insignia, was running couch surfing or something out of his apartment but only accepted young female backpackers, right creep and racist as fuck...also got caught out lying about being a Vietnam War Veteran, amongst other things...and says "Nom Pen". Good riddance if true.
From watching about half of his videos and listening to him speak, my mental image of him is of an old Kiwi/ also lived in Aussie, grew up in a small town, was dumb as a rock in school and probably in the 'special' classes for the kids that had trouble keeping up with the others, joined up with the white power boys (you can see the tatts on his hands in a few of the vids) because they were as dumb as him and he'd be the type who's easily lead by others, eventually grew out of that or was scared away from it when the Mongrel Mob and Black Power started going after the nazis, inherited some money and moved to Asia to be a whoremonger in the seedier parts of town.

I just skimmed through that thread you mentioned though, seems like he didn't grow out of the white power bullshit.

I did like his video style though, he tended to linger on parts of a street with the camera rather than just a quick sweep down the road, gives you a better idea of what a place is like IMO. His commentary though ... jesus. The last video of his I watched he was in a restaurant trying spaghetti bolognaise or something similar and saying he can't stand it, where he's from you never see it and this was his first time trying it.How does anyone get through life without seeing spag bol everywhere? Before then I thought he had a screw loose, after watching that video I was sure of it.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Naaah, we totally get it, you're just ok with nazi creepy stuff ^^
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

First time I had ‘spaghetti bolognese’ was in Cambodia, in fact in Phnom Penh. Thought it was some special spaghetti with unique blend of Khmer spices and meats.

In fact, just called Spaghetti here in the US.

But the various video bloggers give lots of different perspectives and some things to try on my retirement list.

Meanwhile ‘Sanctioned Ivan’ is now ‘Russians in Thailand’, living the Pattaya life. Makes Pattaya seem like a fun place to visit.

Is the Cambodian Vlogger coming back to Cambodia any time soon? I think he was one of the most interesting of the Cambodian ones.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:37 am Naaah, we totally get it, you're just ok with nazi creepy stuff ^^

Onethreesix
Tourist
Cuba

Post by Onethreesix »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:40 am

Is the Cambodian Vlogger coming back to Cambodia any time soon? I think he was one of the most interesting of the Cambodian ones.
Yes he’s coming back soon as he and his wife are about to have another child.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic