Cambodian food

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian food

Post by John Bingham »

I really do ask myself, why people that have settled down here (I'm not talking about tourists or NGO) are not willing to adopt the local way of life. Just replace bread and potatoes with rice in your head
I don't think I was particularly negative about the food. However I've lived here for a long time because I like a lot of things about living here and the local food is not really one of them. I've eaten my fair share of it and sometimes there's no choice but when there is I'd rather eat Indian, Lebanese or other foreign food.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

ressl wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:07 am It is amazing that this whole thread consists of only negative responses to the food with only 2 exceptions. I really do ask myself, why people that have settled down here (I'm not talking about tourists or NGO) are not willing to adopt the local way of life. Just replace bread and potatoes with rice in your head (and of course to make sure, that your cook is not applying the extra spoon of sugar and MSG), then you can have cheap food with indeed great taste. But I guess changing habits is not suitable for everyone and it is preferred to spend a fortune on food and lifestyle stuff, just to have it like back at home. So why not stay back at home in the first place?
I have lived abroad most of my life, enjoy eating, and will try (almost) anything. When I hear the company would move me to Cambodia, I was really excited, figuring the food would be great as the country sits between Thailand and Vietnam. Well, my hopes were quickly dashed. Yes, some dishes are good, I too like Korko. But overall, the food pales compared to its neighbours. Only places in SE Asia with worse food are Myanmar and the Philippines.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

ressl wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:07 am It is amazing that this whole thread consists of only negative responses to the food with only 2 exceptions. I really do ask myself, why people that have settled down here (I'm not talking about tourists or NGO) are not willing to adopt the local way of life. Just replace bread and potatoes with rice in your head (and of course to make sure, that your cook is not applying the extra spoon of sugar and MSG), then you can have cheap food with indeed great taste. But I guess changing habits is not suitable for everyone and it is preferred to spend a fortune on food and lifestyle stuff, just to have it like back at home. So why not stay back at home in the first place?
I eat Cambodian food frequently - my Khmer partner is a great cook.

But after a few days in BKK the other week, I got back to Poipet and the street food options seemed particularly dire after Thailand.

With limited time, I thought I'd go for some some fried chicken and a couple of beers to see me through, rather than shabby looking instant noodles or miscellaneous fried meat bits.

And then I lucked into Poipet's Padang restaurant!

It confirmed to me what Hanno says - when you consider where it is, Cambodia is a big letdown.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic