David Billow from Hong Kong Dies in Street 172 Guesthouse

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: David Billow from Hong Kong Dies in Street 172 Guesthous

Post by General Mackevili »

Panda wrote:I am a close friend of David Billow’s and I am writing to request that you please remove the photo of David's deceased body lying in the hospital bed and the picture of his Hong Kong Identity card.

The passing of a son, brother, and a friend is already difficult enough without having it so flagrantly and disrespectfully publicized online. As a young website, I believe you are still able to make a choice in regards to how you want your site to be viewed. I realize that there are other sites that publish this type of information, but is this really how you want to be known? Compared to other websites, I would have expected Cambodia Expat to be a resource for expatriates, not a way to garner attention and distribute information regarding non-residential expatriates who are visiting Cambodia.

I am guessing that, like David's family and friends, the rest of the public would be very offended by an article like this. I understand that this information is open to the public and therefore I am only asking you to remove the picture of his deceased body and ID card. Although I would like you to remove the whole article, I realize that this is most likely not going to happen since there is no legal basis to this request.

However, I understand that everything on this website is hosted and managed in the USA. Hence, I have hired a lawyer who believes we have a strong argument that the two published pictures greatly offend the public and that in this case, the American government regulatory body can and will step in. If this is what is required, then I have no problem investing my resources to ensure that these pictures, and even this article, are removed. Please provide David's friends and family with some privacy and respect through this difficult time by removing the picture of his body and of his ID card (which, as you are probably aware, is classified information). Thank you.
Very sorry for your loss.

Again, it's the ID "NUMBER" that is sensitive, which we removed before even posting this thread. I'm not sure what you think is classified here.

And I'm not sure what type of law your lawyer practices that would make them think that they have a case against us to remove the images, or to censor the article itself, because that's just ridiculous.

As earlier stated, even the American government releases horrific media (images and video footage) that some people would rather be kept private.

Anyways, if you want to visit a slightly more well-known site that shows a bunch of blood, guts, dead bodies and people dying, check out this site:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/specia ... explosions

Horrific images from the Boston Marathon bombing, and they don't even use SPOILERS or warm you that it might be graphic, like we do. You should be thankful we use SPOILERS, even though we don't have to.
Spoiler:
And here is another link to an American newspaper site that shows the ENTIRE ID page of a deceased American who died in Thailand last year:

http://nydailynews.com/news/crime/video ... bled=false

The NY Daily and Boston Globe have both around for roughly 100 years or more, and they post horrific images and ID's all the time.

I would forward these links to your lawyer before you waste time and money trying to remove something that shouldn't be removed.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

:facepalm:

troll.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

"I believe in free speech and a free press...unless it's something I don't like!"
Friggen hypocrites! I'm sorry for your loss, but this is news. Are you also going to try to sue the Cambodian press? I'd LOVE to hear about that!

Keep up the good work CEO!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

One of the stages of grief is anger. I suspect CEO is a good target for the anger.
A very huge case of "shooting the messenger."
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic