cambodia - vietnam - cambodia

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: cambodia - vietnam - cambodia

Post by Tootsfriend »

hanno wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:51 am I worked in Chau Doc for a total of 6 years and it is arguably my favourite town in Vietnam.

I took the hi speed boat from PP to Vietnam in 2003, passing through Chau Doc for visa. Ended up staying there for a week on the way back. I really loved the place, not a white skin to be seen the whole time I was there.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:49 am
hanno wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:51 am I worked in Chau Doc for a total of 6 years and it is arguably my favourite town in Vietnam.

I took the hi speed boat from PP to Vietnam in 2003, passing through Chau Doc for visa. Ended up staying there for a week on the way back. I really loved the place, not a white skin to be seen the whole time I was there.
I would have been there back then.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:51 am

Is it possible to get a boat from Chau Doc to Hai Tien? Or would a taxi be better? It's 90km (by road) so a slow boat might take all day!

I was thinking about a nice way to get to Hai Tien and then onto Pho Quoc, and this route looks like a very interesting option.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:45 am
hanno wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:51 am

Is it possible to get a boat from Chau Doc to Hai Tien? Or would a taxi be better? It's 90km (by road) so a slow boat might take all day!

I was thinking about a nice way to get to Hai Tien and then onto Pho Quoc, and this route looks like a very interesting option.
When I was in Chau Doc last, around 2020, there was no regular boat service to Ha Tien. There was supposedly a way to get onto freight boats, but I never tried as the trip would probably take a couple of days.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Very interesting trip report and photos, @SINUS. Many thanks for sharing!
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

I took that boat from Phnom Penh a few years ago, but there were only 4 passengers, so they kicked us off the boat at Chau Doc and paid for our bus ride to HCMC.

Is it possible to take the boat all the way to HCMC? I seem to remember that it was supposed to go as far as Can Tho, and then I would have had to take a bus from there, anyway.

Great trip, regardless, and Chau Doc was interesting from what I saw.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Ryan754326 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:49 pm I took that boat from Phnom Penh a few years ago, but there were only 4 passengers, so they kicked us off the boat at Chau Doc and paid for our bus ride to HCMC.

Is it possible to take the boat all the way to HCMC? I seem to remember that it was supposed to go as far as Can Tho, and then I would have had to take a bus from there, anyway.
The boat PP - HCMC stopped aeons ago as there was not enough interest. They then launched a massive boat Can Tho - PP around 2007; turned out to be a spectacular failure. I did the speed boat PP - HCMC a couple of times; it was awful. You are better off in a bus.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

I know of three barangs who lived in Chau Doc for a time (not including Hanno at the Victoria). One of them opened a bar. He is a regular poster here.

Great photos.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic