UK passport for daughter born in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: UK passport for daughter born in Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kingofthesky wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:36 pm [Cut]
ALL the below is what we currently have (all translated @ Gotranslation )

- Ultra sound scans
- Both mum and dad birth certificates
- Her Khmer birth certificate
- ID & passport copies
- Shit ton of photos

On the uk.gov site the 1st hurdle is getting a digital passport photo from photo booth with code next to it ffs lol

if there's anything I've missed documentation wise would appreciate very much a heads up

cheers
Has the part in Latin script been filled I n?
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Sounds like you're pretty much ready to go.

Not sure if gotranslate is ok, but the translation needs to be done by a reputable company that's recognized by the uk passport office. The birth certificates, partners ID, documents from the birth, pretty much anything in Khmer. The counter signature needs to be from a uk passport holder too.

The translation company I used is based in Phnom Penh, they didn't need the original, just a scan sent by email. The company is called Bridge international translation. They send you a few stamped copies that can be picked up at virak buntam bus station.

VFS staff were strangely unknowledgeable, not rude but asking if there was anything else I'd like to send? I'd ask what? They would say 'anything'. They make you leave your guns and bombs at the door too.

They did give me a checklist sheet when I left though, I will try take a photo and upload it if I can work out how to upload it
sumfin smart
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:51 pm Sounds like you're pretty much ready to go.

Not sure if gotranslate is ok, but the translation needs to be done by a reputable company that's recognized by the uk passport office. The birth certificates, partners ID, documents from the birth, pretty much anything in Khmer. The counter signature needs to be from a uk passport holder too.

The translation company I used is based in Phnom Penh, they didn't need the original, just a scan sent by email. The company is called Bridge international translation. They send you a few stamped copies that can be picked up at virak buntam bus station.

VFS staff were strangely unknowledgeable, not rude but asking if there was anything else I'd like to send? I'd ask what? They would say 'anything'. They make you leave your guns and bombs at the door too.

They did give me a checklist sheet when I left though, I will try take a photo and upload it if I can work out how to upload it
Some minor corrections to the above:
Thtere is no recognition of translators, the UK government only suggest some companies. You can ise anyone with a stamp. IME the well known firms make more errors than the small shops.
The countersigniature can be done by certain non-UK passport holders, eg USA.
VFS are not there to advise anyone. They just compare the colour copies of your original documents and hand you back the oroginals., and charge their exorbitant fees of course.
The checklist only includes half of what you need to send. I put the complete list in an earlier thread.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:52 pm
DeparRudeAnts wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:51 pm Sounds like you're pretty much ready to go.

Thtere is no recognition of translators, the UK government only suggest some companies. You can ise anyone with a stamp. IME the well known firms make more errors than the small shops.
VFS are not there to advise anyone. They just compare the colour copies of your original documents and hand you back the oroginals., and charge their exorbitant fees of course.
The checklist only includes half of what you need to send. I put the complete list in an earlier thread.
Good to know, thank you. As I said before, I haven't actually applied yet, so I'm not a pro.. information online is so murky, and the more you know the better.

The UK passport office told me the counter signature needed to be from a British passport holder but it surprised me that the US, Australia, and Canada weren't also options.

Here in snooky there's not so many reputable options!
sumfin smart
Kingofthesky
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Kingofthesky »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:29 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:52 pm

Good to know, thank you. As I said before, I haven't actually applied yet, so I'm not a pro.. information online is so murky, and the more you know the better.

The UK passport office told me the counter signature needed to be from a British passport holder but it surprised me that the US, Australia, and Canada weren't also options.

Here in snooky there's not so many reputable options!

Im about to start the proccess and take the application and all documents to Phnom penh when im back (2months) ....I'll get a counter signature here in UK .....

Your right information online is murky , Freightdog gave some very helpful pointers on this thread though :beer3:

Im not sure how long this shit will take I've heard the fastest process time was 9 months ?

Anyways I wish us both luck :Yahoo!: ....it`ll be a piece of mind when done
Kingofthesky
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Kingofthesky »

.........On a quick note , once I've filled out the first 3-4 question on the uk.gov site it just gives you the application form to download and just says "YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON "

that's as far as I can get
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic